Olive.com Extended Car Warranty [Review & Guide]
Olive.com is one of the newer third-party extended warranty providers. But what sets them apart? What do they do differently?
A primary concern for customers was the lack of transparency and sales tactics used in the extended warranty industry.
Olive.com claims to address these issues and in our review, we'll go over if they're really "shaking up the industry".
Table of Contents
- What Is Olive.com Extended Warranty?
- Olive.com Extended Warranty Review – The Good & Bad
- Olive.com Extended Warranty: Is It Worth It?
- Which Olive.com Plan Should I Get?
- What Does Olive.com Extended Warranty Cover?
- What Does Olive.com Extended Warranty Not Cover?
- Olive.com Extended Warranty Costs & Savings
- Olive.com Extended Warranty Coverage Plans
- Olive.com Extended Warranty Additional Benefits
- How to File a Claim with Olive.com
- How to Cancel Olive.com Extended Warranty
- Olive.com Customer Reviews & Complaints
- Alternatives to Olive.com Extended Warranty
- Best Car Deals by Category
- Frequently Asked Questions
Disclosure: I sometimes receive compensation from referrals to companies I mention, but that does not impact my opinions and helps keep this website going. And I only recommend providers that will genuinely benefit my readers.
What Is Olive.com Extended Warranty?
Olive.com is a digital-focused warranty company that offers mechanical breakdown insurance to residents of California and vehicle service contracts to residents of the rest of the United States.
Olive.com offers personalized plans so that its customers are only paying for what they need. Unlike many of its competitors, Olive.com uses a subscription-based billing model that allows customers to cancel at any time.
Olive.com does not have a waiting period or required vehicle inspection before allowing coverage. This means you can get coverage the very next day, most providers require a 30-day waiting period or pre-inspection.
Can I Trust Olive.com?
Olive.com Extended Warranty has an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau and many 4 and 5 star reviews on Google. On Consumer Affairs, Olive.com has received over 300 reviews and comes in at an overall 4.5/5 stars.
Hundreds of satisfied customers would suggest that you can, indeed, trust Olive.com.
How Does Olive.com Extended Car Warranty Work?
As a primarily online service, Olive.com offers buyers complete control over the process of receiving quotes and purchasing plans. Their online quote tool is available 24/7, allowing customers to purchase their plan online at any time.
Once you have purchased a plan, the rate is locked and will not change for your entire 3-year term. You will pay for your plan in monthly payments and can cancel at any time.
When you need a repair made, you simply bring your vehicle to a state-licensed mechanic or a RepairPal repair shop and file a claim with Olive.com.
Is Olive.com Available in California?
Yes, Olive.com coverage is available in California. However, coverage for California residents is called “Mechanical Breakdown Insurance”. In the rest of the United States, this service is called a “vehicle service contract”.
The Olive.com mechanical breakdown insurance provides California residents with affordable monthly payments, no waiting periods, and unlimited miles for the entire duration of their mechanical breakdown insurance term.
Olive.com Extended Warranty Review – The Good & Bad
Olive.com breakdown coverage has several pros and cons to consider.
- Monthly payments, can cancel at any time
- Easy to use online platform, 100% quote and buy online
- Available in California
- No robocalls — ever
- No waiting period or inspection is required, next day coverage
- Affordable coverage options
- Certified RepairPal Partner
- Your vehicle cannot be older than 10 years old
- Does not cover general maintenance expenses
- No coverage for ride-sharing or commercial vehicles
Olive.com Extended Warranty: Is It Worth It?
Olive.com Extended Warranty coverage allows its customers a great deal of flexibility and convenience. Unlike many other providers, Olive.com does not require a vehicle inspection or waiting period when you sign up and it allows you to bring your vehicle to any ASE-verified location rather than a specific shop.
Additionally, Olive.com’s subscription-based payment system offers an affordable way to make sure that your vehicle is covered without needing to break the bank all at once. This can be especially helpful if you are living from paycheck to paycheck and are not able to save enough for necessary repairs.
If you are in the market for an extended warranty, we recommend at least obtaining a quote from Olive.com so that you can compare it to your other options. In fact, if you complete a quote, Olive.com will email you a $5 eGift card. This offer is not valid in Flordia.
Which Olive.com Plan Should I Get?
The best Olive.com Extended Warranty plan for your vehicle will depend on your coverage needs. Olive.com offers warranty coverage for both new and used cars, with different perks for each.
What Is the Best Olive.com Extended Warranty for New Cars?
The Olive.com Extended Warranty Complete Care plan is ideal for new vehicles. This plan offers the most comprehensive coverage and is the closest to a manufacturer’s bumper-to-bumper coverage plan.
For this reason, the Complete Care coverage plan would be the best choice to most effectively protect your new vehicle.
What Is the Best Olive.com Extended Warranty for Used Cars?
Choosing the best Olive.com Extended Warranty for a used vehicle will depend on the age and condition of your vehicle. If it is a newer used vehicle, a coverage plan like Olive.com’s Powertrain Plus, or even Complete Care, could be the best choice. These plans provide better coverage of your vehicle and can therefore provide better protection for it.
If your used vehicle is very old and has many miles already, the Powertrain plan would be the best choice. This plan offers a very affordable way to protect the most important parts of your vehicle.
What Does Olive.com Extended Warranty Cover?
Olive.com Extended Warranty coverage depends on the plan of your vehicle. Olive.com’s most popular coverage plan is their “Complete Care” option which is a comprehensive plan that closely resembles a manufacturer’s bumper-to-bumper coverage plan.
All of Olive.com’s coverage plans include coverage for these elements:
- Air & Fuel Systems
- Seals & Gaskets
- Drive Axle
What Does Olive.com Extended Warranty Not Cover?
There are a few things that an Olive.com Extended Warranty plan will not cover. Keep in mind that Olive.com does not cover:
- Regular maintenance — such as oil changes
- Pre-existing conditions or modifications
- Wear on items such as brake pads, belts, hoses, and wiper blades
- Environmental damage
- Damage caused by theft or vandalism
- Damage from accidents, lack of maintenance, or misuse
- Vehicles that are used for commercial and ride-sharing services — such as Uber or Lyft
Olive.com Extended Warranty Costs & Savings
The overall pricing of an Olive.com Extended Warranty plan will vary depending on the year, make, model, location, and mileage of the vehicle being covered. On average, Olive.com’s extended warranty plans will cost between $30 and $80 per month.
Compared to other extended warranty providers, Olive.com’s coverage options are affordable. All of Olive.com’s plans are paid monthly in a “pay as you go” system.
Because Olive.com Extended Warranty plans are customizable, you can save money depending on the plan you choose for your vehicle — as compared to extended warranty plans from other providers.
Olive.com Extended Warranty Coverage Plans
Olive.com Extended Warranty offers three different coverage options:
1. Olive.com Powertrain
The powertrain coverage plan is the base level of coverage that Olive.com offers. This plan covers the most expensive parts of your vehicle. These parts include the engine, transmission, air and fuel systems, seals and gaskets, and drive axle.
2. Olive.com Powertrain Plus
Olive.com’s second-tier coverage plan, Powertrain Plus, includes everything offered in their Powertrain plan plus additional coverage.
Powertrain Plus adds steering, front suspension, air conditioning, electrical components, odometer, and speedometer, as well as brakes (not including rotors or pads) to the covered parts of your vehicle.
3. Olive.com Complete Care
Complete care is Olive.com’s most popular coverage plan. This plan most closely resembles a manufacturer’s bumper-to-bumper plan.
In addition to everything that is included in the Powertrain Plus plan, this coverage option includes:
- Anti-Lock Brakes
- Power Windows & Locks
- Emissions Components
- Safety Systems
- Luxury Electronics
- Exclusionary Coverage.
Olive.com Extended Warranty Additional Benefits
Olive.com Extended Warranty coverage plans include some additional benefits, such as:
- Reimbursement for necessary towing (up to $100 per breakdown).
- Rental car reimbursement
- Coverage of up to $35 per day for a maximum of 5 days.
- Coverage of an additional 2 days if an inspection of the breakdown is required.
- Reimbursement applies to breakdowns covered by either Olive.com or your car’s manufacturer.
How to File a Claim with Olive.com
Filing a claim with Olive.com Extended Warranty is simple, here is the process:
- When your car experiences a mechanical breakdown, bring it to a certified mechanic near you. You can take your vehicle to any state-licensed mechanic or find a repair shop through Olive.com’s partnership with RepairPal.
- Once at the repair shop, call Olive.com to file a claim.
- Connect the mechanic with Olive.com so that they can approve the claim.
- If Olive.com will cover the repair, parts, and labor for all covered items, they will pay the shop directly and all you have to pay is the deductible.
How to Cancel Olive.com Extended Warranty
With Olive.com Extended Warranty, canceling your plan is extremely easy. Because Olive.com charges monthly for your coverage, all it takes is a quick call to cancel your coverage plan.
Olive.com Customer Reviews & Complaints
While they are still relatively new to the industry, you can already find a lot of reviews for Olive.com Extended Warranty. The reviews are overall good (4 to 5 stars).
The majority of these good reviews are centered around the reasonable cost of Olive.com Extended Warranty, the simplicity of the signup process, the level of coverage received, and the friendly customer service representatives.
There are much fewer negative reviews of Olive.com Extended Warranty. These reviews are often complaints about an incorrect charge or miscommunication on a vehicle's unknown pre-existing condition. Olive.com has appeared to address any incorrect charges quickly, and they do explicitly state that they do not cover pre-existing conditions on every page of their website so it is hard to fault them for this.
Alternatives to Olive.com Extended Warranty
Olive.com offers affordable extended warranties that you pay every month, but before committing to Olive.com Extended Warranty it is best to assess all of your options. Several providers offer extended warranties for your vehicle. Here are a few alternative extended warranties to Olive.com Extended Warranty.
- Manufacturer Warranties. If your vehicle is new and still under its factory warranty, you may want to consider the manufacturer’s extended warranty. These extended warranties can be more expensive than options like Olive.com Extended Warranty, but they can also be worth the price for the coverage that they offer. Take a look at the manufacturer warranties for Toyota, Honda, and Ford to learn more.
- Endurance. Endurance has a very good reputation with its customers. They often note the high-quality customer service of Endurance which is extremely important for the industry. Read our full review of Endurance for more information.
- YAA. YAA (Your Advocate Alliance) recently started offering extended warranties. They are another affordable option with strong customer service. Read our full review of YAA for more information.
- CARCHEX. With over 20 years of experience in the industry, CARCHEX comes in at one of the most well-known providers of extended warranties. Overall, they have strong reviews and ratings. Read all about CARCHEX in our full review.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the deductible for Olive.com Extended Warranty?
Olive.com Extended Warranty offers customized plans for any budget so you can pick your deductible based on your monthly payment.
Where can I get repairs under the Olive.com Extended Warranty?
With Olive.com Extended Warranty you can get repairs at your preferred ASE-certified service provider. Additionally, you can schedule repairs through Olive.com Extended Warranty’s partner, RepairPal.
Is Olive.com better than Endurance for car extended warranties?
Both Olive.com Extended Warranty and Endurance have advantages and disadvantages. The most important thing to keep in mind when selecting an extended warranty for your vehicle is your personal needs. To determine which of these two would be best for you, get a quote from both service providers and compare their coverage and benefits.
Is Olive.com better than CARCHEX for car extended warranties?
CARCHEX is another common selection for an extended warranty. Like Olive.com Extended Warranty, CARCHEX has its own advantages and disadvantages. To decide which extended warranty provider is best for your vehicle, obtain a quote from both and compare their coverage and benefits. Choose the provider that best meets your personal needs.
Does Olive.com Extended Warranty cover routine maintenance?
Olive.com vehicle repair plans do not include routine maintenance. Olive.com Extended Warranty only covers unexpected auto repair bills that are due to mechanical failures.
How does Olive.com warranty pay claims?
When you get to the mechanic shop, connect the mechanic with Olive.com so that they can approve the repair. Olive.com will then pay the repair shop directly. You will then pay your deductible.