Protect My Car Extended Warranty [Review & Guide]
I am a serial entrepreneur and a consumer advocate. When I’m not helping car buyers, I love working on ventures that have a positive impact.
Extended warranties can help give you peace of mind AND save you a ton of money on vehicle repairs.
Our expert editors have spent weeks looking at all the extended warranty options. When Protect My Car came under our radar, we had to try it and see if they fulfill its promises to change the game by "helping you when you need it most".
In our review of Protect My Car, we'll go over the different coverage options and which one might be best for you.
Table of Contents
- What Is Protect My Car?
- Protect My Car Warranty Review – The Good & Bad
- Protect My Car Extended Warranty: Is It Worth It?
- Protect My Car Extended Warranty Costs & Savings
- What Does Protect My Car Extended Warranty Cover?
- What Does Protect My Car Extended Warranty Not Cover?
- Protect My Car Warranty Coverage Plans
- Protect My Car Warranty Additional Benefits & Rewards
- Which Protect My Car Plan Should I Get?
- How to File a Claim with Protect My Car
- Protect My Car Customer Reviews & Complaints
- Alternatives to Protect My Car Extended Warranty
- Best Car Deals by Category
- Frequently Asked Questions
Disclosure: I sometimes receive compensation from referrals to companies I mention, but that does not impact my opinions and helps keep this website going. And I only recommend providers that will genuinely benefit my readers.
What Is Protect My Car?
Protect My Car is a third-party auto warranty provider. The company was started in 2005 and is now available throughout most of the US.
Can I Trust Protect My Car?
Protect My Car has a strong reputation and high customer satisfaction ratings. They are BBB accredited and have 16 years of experience in the business. Furthermore, they maintain an A+ rating from the BBB.
How Does Protect My Car Work?
They offer extended warranty plans. If you experience a mechanical issue, then you bring your vehicle to an approved repair shop and file your claim. PMC will pay the repair bill based on your plan.
You must also pay a deductible and monthly premiums for your plan.
Where Can I Get Repairs?
With a Protect My Car extended warranty, you can take your vehicle to any Automotive Service Excellence (ASE) certified mechanic or dealership. This means you can choose from over 600,000 locations around the country.
Protect My Car Warranty Review – The Good & Bad
Protect My Car Extended Warranty Pros: Here’s What I Like
- Includes access to PMC rewards.
- All plans include 24/7 roadside assistance.
- Flexible payment terms between 36 and 48 months. This helps reduce monthly costs.
- Ambassador Maintenance Plans for vehicles older than 13 years old.
- Claims process via phone.
- Includes tire rotations (can fix a shaking car) and oil changes, which is a rare benefit.
Protect My Car Extended Warranty Cons: Here’s What I Don’t Like
- The vehicle must be under 13 years old for the primary plans.
- Plans are not available in California, Alaska, Hawaii, Missouri, Oklahoma, or Washington.
- They can be slow to provide quotes.
- Some complaints about fulfilling coverage.
- Only partial coverage with the Ambassador plans.
Protect My Car Extended Warranty: Is It Worth It?
Overall, it is well worth considering Protect My Car for your extended warranty.
They have a very strong reputation in a difficult industry. They have several plans which offer great coverage, and they also provide long-term financing to make it more affordable.
Still, you should always compare your options. Get a quote from PMC as well as other providers before making a decision.
Don’t just compare price, also look deeper into what the contract includes and read the fine print.
Protect My Car Extended Warranty Costs & Savings
You can only find the exact cost of a plan for your vehicle if you request a quote. There are several factors that influence the cost including:
- Vehicle Type
- Vehicle Age
- Coverage Plan
However, they do disclose the deductibles. Deductibles for the Supreme and Select plan are $100. For the Driveline plan, the deductible is $200, and for the Platinum, it’s 25% of the repair cost.
You must also pay a monthly premium which will vary. In general, quotes from PMC show premiums that are commonly between $80 and $120 for 36 months.
Still, the company shares impressive average savings on their website:
- $4,000- $6,000 average savings on engine repairs
- $3,000-$5,000 average savings on transmission
- $1,000-$2,000 average savings on the drive axle
- $1,000-$2,000 average savings on A/C and heating
What Does Protect My Car Extended Warranty Cover?
Extended warranty plans from Protect My Car cover major components of the vehicle. Here are common components the plans cover:
- Fuel System
- Front and Rear Suspension
- Hi-Tech Electrical
Note that different warranty plans may offer different coverage. Always be sure to read the contracts closely so you know exactly what the plan covers.
What Does Protect My Car Extended Warranty Not Cover?
Just like most extended warranty companies, Protect My Car does not cover repairs caused by:
- Lack of Maintenance
- Unauthorized Repairs
- Worn Parts
- Problems From Before Extended Warranty Started
- Aftermarket Parts/Modifications
- Cosmetic Items
- Weather Damage
- Accident Damage
- Competitive Driving
- Exhaust Pipes
Protect My Car Warranty Coverage Plans
Protect My Car offers 6 total warranty plans, 3 for newer cars and 3 for older cars. Here’s a basic breakdown of each:
1. Supreme Plan
The Supreme plan is the most complete option. It’s available for vehicles with up to 49,999 miles. It includes coverage most similar to the manufacturer’s warranty. You also get 24/7 roadside assistance and free tire rotations and oil changes.
With this plan Protect My Car pays 100% of covered repairs after your $100 deductible.
2. Select Plan
The Select plan is available for vehicles with up to 89,999 miles. It has a lower monthly premium than the Supreme plan. It also includes 24/7 roadside assistance, free oil changes, and free tire rotations.
Protect My Car pays 100% of the covered repairs after your $100 deductible.
3. Driveline Plan
Driveline is also for newer cars, but it covers vehicles with up to 124,999 miles. It offers the most affordable monthly premium, while still including roadside assistance, tire rotations, and oil changes.
Following your $200 deductible, Protect My Car will pay 100% of covered repairs.
4. Platinum Plan
The Ambassador Platinum plan is meant for older cars, with up to 299,999 miles. It offers the lowest deductible and highest monthly premium. You pay a 25% deductible before Protect My Car pays for the covered repairs.
5. Elite Plan
The Elite plan also covers older cars up to 299,999 miles. It is a mid-tier option for older vehicles, offering a lower premium. You must pay a 50% deductible before Protect My Car pays the rest for covered repairs.
6. Pro Plan
The Pro option provides the most comprehensive coverage for older vehicles with up to 299,999 miles. You pay a 50% deductible before Protect My Car pays the rest.
Protect My Car Warranty Additional Benefits & Rewards
Every Protect My Car extended warranty plan includes additional benefits. Some of the benefits the company offers include:
- 24/7 Roadside Assistance
- Rental Car Reimbursement
- Oil Changes
- Tire Rotations
- Trip Interruption Reimbursement
- PMC Rewards Membership
Which Protect My Car Plan Should I Get?
What Is the Best Protect My Car Extended Warranty for New Cars?
If you have a newer vehicle with lower mileage, then the Supreme plan is best. It offers more comprehensive coverage.
What Is the Best Protect My Car Extended Warranty for Used Cars?
Vehicles with higher mileage (that are still under 13 years old) may work best with the Driveline plan. It covers fewer parts while still offering more coverage than the Ambassador plans.
How to File a Claim with Protect My Car
Filing claims with PMC is fairly simple. Here’s how the process works:
- Bring your vehicle to an approved repair shop.
- Authorize the shop to diagnose the vehicle.
- The repair shop should contact the PMC claims department for approval.
- Once approved, continue with the repair.
- Pay the deductible amount, and PMC will pay the rest.
Many customers have a seamless claims experience, but this is not always the case. Some express frustration with the response time and approval.
Protect My Car Customer Reviews & Complaints
So what is their reputation like? Overall, Protect My Car has strong reviews and ratings. They have an A+ rating on the BBB, as well as 4.4 stars from BBB customer reviews. They have received 160 complaints on the BBB in three years, which is very small for a large company. Furthermore, they have 4.6 out of 5 stars on Trustpilot.
Positive reviews often talk about a problem-free experience. They compliment the claims process and receive what they expected.
At the same time, there are negative reviews outlining a challenging claims process. Some customers complain that they paid more than they expected and did not get the coverage they anticipated.
Ultimately, carefully reading the warranty terms and conditions may help you avoid some of the frustration that other customers express.
Alternatives to Protect My Car Extended Warranty
While Protect My Car is a solid choice for extended warranties, it’s not the only choice. You can (and should) also evaluate the alternatives including:
- Endurance: They offer excellent coverage, with 6 different plans. Some plans include routine maintenance, and they also come with one year of free Endurance Elite Benefits. Read more in our Endurance Review.
- CARCHEX. CARCHEX is highly recommended for used cars. They have an A+ rating with the BBB, and they offer a quote process that takes less than 10 minutes. Learn more in our CARCHEX review.
- CarShield: It offers fair coverage for low monthly costs. Its plans also include perks like roadside assistance. Read our full CarShield review for more details.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I cancel Protect My Car extended warranty?
Yes, you can cancel your Protect My Car extended warranty. To do so, you must contact the company by phone. Then, you must also submit a cancellation request form. If you cancel within 30 days, then you receive a full refund. If it is after the 30-day cancellation period, then you receive a prorated refund.
Does Protect My Car cover maintenance?
All Protect My Car plans include oil changes and tire rotations. Other types of maintenance are not covered.
What is Protect My Car’s refund policy?
Protect My Car offers a 30-day Look Period. You have 30 days to fully review the terms of your plan. If you are not satisfied, you can cancel the plan for a full refund.
What is the deductible for Protect My Car extended warranty?
The deductible for a Protect My Car extended warranty varies by plan:
- Supreme: $100 deductible
- Select: $100 deductible
- Driveline: $200 deductible
- Platinum: 25% of repair costs
- Elite: 50% of repair costs
- Pro: 50% of repair costs
Which is better, Endurance or Protect My Car extended warranty?
Endurance and Protect My Car both have strong reputations and many positives. Many reviewers tend to recommend Endurance as the best overall option. However, you should compare personal quotes from each to make your decision.