CARCHEX Extended Car Warranty [Review + Guide]
Extended warranties can provide peace of mind to car owners after their manufacturer’s warranty expires. There are several different options available for extended warranties. While no extended warranty will be perfect, some are better than others.
CARCHEX is an extended warranty provider with over 20 years of experience in the industry. There are a lot of positive reviews for the company as well as a few complaints.
In this article, we will dive deeper into CARCHEX extended warranties, and if they’re something you should consider.
Table of Contents
- What Is CARCHEX?
- What Does CARCHEX Auto Warranty Cover?
- What Does CARCHEX Auto Warranty Not Cover?
- How Much Does CARCHEX Extended Warranty Cost?
- How to File a Claim with CARCHEX
- CARCHEX Warranty Coverage Plans
- Which CARCHEX Warranty Plan Should I Get?
- CARCHEX Review – The Good & Bad
- CARCHEX Customer Reviews & Complaints
- Alternatives to CARCHEX Extended Warranty
- Best Car Deals by Category
- Frequently Asked Questions
Disclosure: I sometimes receive compensation from referrals to companies I mention, but that does not impact my opinions and helps keep this website going. And I only recommend providers that will genuinely benefit my readers.
What Is CARCHEX?
CARCHEX is an extended warranty provider for automobiles. CARCHEX is well-known as one of the largest providers of vehicle service contracts. They have an excellent reputation and hundreds of satisfied customer reviews.
Initially starting as a service to provide mobile inspection of cars, CARCHEX has been around for over two decades. They are also one of the few providers to offer MBI options for California residents.
Can I Trust CARCHEX Extended Warranty?
Hundreds of positive reviews would say that you can. CARCHEX maintains an A+ rating on the Better Business Bureau and 4 out of 5 stars on Consumer Affairs.
No company is in business for as long as CARCHEX without its fair number of complaints. That said, they do address any complaints as they arise.
How Does CARCHEX Work?
Customers can obtain an instant quote by visiting the CARCHEX website or by calling the customer service line during business hours. Customers who purchase a plan receive a 30-day money-back guarantee which allows customers to get a full refund in that time if they wish.
What Does CARCHEX Auto Warranty Cover?
CARCHEX can save you thousands of dollars through the lifetime of the warranty. Once the factory warranty has expired, drivers are liable for all repairs to the vehicle. This can be exorbitantly expensive, depending on the repair. Common ones that a warranty will cover are:
- Engine Rebuild/Replacement - $2,776
- Transmission Rebuild/Replacement - $1,865
- Fuel System Replacement - $1,033
- Suspension Repair/Replacement - $784
- Electrical Repair - $675
- Air Conditioning Repair - $650
It’s worth noting that these are sample repair costs, calculated from actual claims. It may vary from this amount but this is the typical charge that drivers face when caught without a warranty.
In addition to having repairs like these covered, CARCHEX also offers:
- Gas Delivery Services
- Rental Care Solutions
- Towing & 24/7 Roadside Assistance
- Trip Interruption Services
The peace of mind gained from these coverages can be tremendously helpful for drivers.
What Does CARCHEX Auto Warranty Not Cover?
Things that are not included in a CARCHEX Auto Warranty more or less line up with industry standards. Common items not included in your coverage will be:
- Collision-related damage
- Any damage incurred from owner abuse or neglect
- Maintenance items like oil changes
- Car-related damages covered under your auto insurance policy are not covered by the warranty.
- Wiper blades, brakes, and the replacement of other wear-and-tear items
How Much Does CARCHEX Extended Warranty Cost?
The average cost of a CARCHEX warranty depends on the specifics of the plan. Car owners can expect warranty costs to be between $100 and $250 per month. Alternatively, yearly rates can range from $214 to $730. Luckily, they make it easy to get a quote instantly for your specific situation.
In addition to vehicle type, mileage, and other concerns, it depends on the type of coverage desired. As we’ll cover later, CARCHEX has different coverage plans available.
How to File a Claim with CARCHEX
CARCHEX offers a simple process for filing a claim. Below are the steps you can expect to follow:
- Confirm within your warranty documentation that you have coverage for the need you have.
- Drive (or have your car towed if needed) to the nearest repair facility. Here, your vehicle will receive a diagnosis and service. CARCHEX has partnered with over 30,000 approved repair centers so it will likely be nearby.
- After completing your repairs, an authorization number for the covered repairs gets sent to the repair shop. Once received, CARCHEX will pay the shop directly.
CARCHEX Warranty Coverage Plans
Within CARCHEX warranty models, there are five different types of vehicle service contracts. These can range from basic powertrain coverage to much more comprehensive ones. Below, we will give a brief overview of each option.
This plan includes coverage for powertrain and repairs for seals and gaskets within the engine and the drive axel.
Silver includes everything from Bronze along with fuel systems, electrical systems, air conditioning, and the alternator.
This plan is best for vehicles with over 60,000 miles. Gold coverage is for all powertrain systems including suspension, steering, and brakes.
Platinum is second only to the Titanium Plan. With platinum, there is coverage for hundreds of repairs including major vehicle systems. This plan is a great option for newer vehicles.
This plan is comparable to a manufacture’s warranty. Titanium plans cover all systems and components except for a few. Like the Platinum option, new car owners tend to prefer this option.
One of the only downsides with CARCHEX plans is that they don’t cater well to luxury car owners. New and used car owners have a lot to choose from though.
Which CARCHEX Warranty Plan Should I Get?
What Is the Best CARCHEX Extended Warranty for New Cars?
When it comes to new cars, the Titanium or Platinum plan is ideal. Those plans allow you to maintain the same or similar coverage when your manufacturer warranty runs out.
What Is the Best CARCHEX Extended Warranty for Used Cars?
For used cars with over 60,000 miles, CARCHEX recommends Gold coverage.
CARCHEX Review – The Good & Bad
Below we will go over the pros and cons of CARCHEX as an extended warranty provider.
- Customer service has earned a strong reputation.
- Offers a 30-day money-back guarantee
- Has over 20 years of experience in the extended warranty industry
- There is an extra cost for hybrid vehicles
- Limited coverage options for high-end vehicles
CARCHEX Customer Reviews & Complaints
CARCHEX has received hundreds of customer reviews over the years. When it comes to researching a new warranty provider, it’s important to get a good look at positive and negative reviews.
Most of the positive reviews center on the customer service provided by CARCHEX. This is an important positive as it shows that issue resolution to be quick and efficient with CARCHEX. Customers writing positive reviews overwhelmingly appreciated speaking with CARCHEX service representatives.
The negative reviews tend to do more with contract misunderstandings and communication issues. This can include long wait times to hear from staff or miscommunication of coverage.
Alternatives to CARCHEX Extended Warranty
While CARCHEX is a great choice for an extended warranty provider, it is not the only one. There is a multitude of extended warranty companies out there and the right option depends on your specific needs. Here are a couple of alternatives to CARCHEX:
- CarShield: CarShield provides coverage for over 1 million vehicles. Offering six coverage plans and month-to-month contracts, they are a strong option. Check out our full review & guide of CarShield.
- Endurance: Endurance is a warranty company with a strong rating. Like CARCHEX, their customer service is reportedly very responsive. Check out our full review & guide of Endurance.
- Protect My Car: They also provide long-term financing for their 6 different coverage plans to make it more affordable. Check out our full review & guide of Protect My Car.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is CARCHEX worth it?
Yes, it can be! The price of an extended warranty can be completely dwarfed by the costs of repairs. CARCHEX offers renowned customer service and has over 20 years of experience.
How much does CARCHEX cost?
The cost for CARCHEX depends on a variety of factors. In addition to the state of the vehicle, the number of miles, and driver history, there are different plans to choose from. Average rates for coverage range between $100 and $250 per month or $214 to $730 per annum. Quotes are available instantaneously from the website or by calling in.
How do I cancel my CARCHEX warranty?
Cancellation is as simple as calling a CARCHEX customer service representative. They will be able to cancel your policy for you. If you cancel within 30 days, CARCHEX will issue a full refund to you. If it is after 30 days, you may still get a prorated amount back.
Where can I go for repairs that are covered by CARCHEX?
CARCHEX offers a network of over 30,000 repair shops in the United States. Customers can go to any of them for covered repairs. Finding a repair shop is easy through the use of their online tool.
Is CARCHEX better than Endurance for car extended warranties?
Endurance is another extended warranty provider. Both are great choices that offer their own unique advantages. It comes down to the specific needs of the customer who is looking for an extended warranty. Both options are great choices in the space but the customer service provided by CARCHEX gives them a slight edge.
Are CARCHEX and CarShield the same?
While they are both in the aftermarket auto industry, CARCHEX and CarShield are not the same company. These are two separate businesses that are not related to each other.