5 Best Car Extended Warranty [Top Companies for 2024]
I am a serial entrepreneur and a consumer advocate. When I’m not helping car buyers, I love working on ventures that have a positive impact.
Extended warranties can help you protect your car (and your wallet) from unforeseen repairs.
Many manufacturers offer extended warranty options, but these tend to come with huge markups from the dealership. Furthermore, you can only purchase a manufacturer warranty while your vehicle is still under factory warranty.
That’s why third-party extended warranty providers can be such a great option.
Today we’ll compare five of the most well-known and highly regarded extended warranty providers: Endurance, CarEdge, Olive.com, CARCHEX, and CarShield.
Table of Contents
- Best Auto Extended Warranty Provider Comparison
- Best Extended Warranty for Overall Coverage: CarEdge
- Best Extended Warranty for Additional Benefits: Endurance
- Best Extended Warranty for Customer Support: Olive.com
- Best Extended Warranty for High Mileage Used Cars: CARCHEX
- Most Affordable Extended Warranty: CarShield
- Availability & Coverage Comparison
- Plans Comparison
- Pricing Comparison
- Customer Satisfaction Comparison
- Additional Benefits Comparison
- Methodology: How We Determined Our Picks
- Best Car Deals by Category
- Frequently Asked Questions
Disclosure: I sometimes receive compensation from referrals to companies I mention, but that does not impact my opinions and helps keep this website going. And I only recommend providers that will genuinely benefit my readers.
Best Auto Extended Warranty Provider Comparison
|Max Vehicle Age / Mileage
|Average Monthly Cost
|Often under $100
|$86 - $124
|$30 - $80
|$100 - $160
|$89 - $129
|All States, EXCEPT Mass.
|All States EXCEPT California
|All States EXCEPT California
Best Extended Warranty for Overall Coverage: CarEdge
Our best car extended warranty for overall coverage is CarEdge.
The extended warranty offers bumper-to-bumper coverage, emergency roadside assistance, flexible repair options (choose your favorite shop), and hassle-free cancellation.
CarEdge values a customer-centric approach, so you will never receive any spam calls. They only apply a small markup to all plans, which means you can save thousands of dollars when comparing against a dealership warranty.
Learn more in our comprehensive review of CarEdge >>
- Choose any ASE or AAA Certified Mechanic for Repairs
- 60-Day Cancellation Period (see how you can cancel a car warranty)
- Transferable Warranty
- Affordable Prices
- Include Roadside Assistance
- Access to Car-Buying Resources
- Pre-purchase Inspection if the Vehicle Is Not in Factory Warranty
- Not Available in Massachusetts
Best Extended Warranty for Additional Benefits: Endurance
Endurance directly provides warranty coverage, and every plan includes one year of Elite benefits.
You can also opt for the Advantage level for ongoing benefits that include vehicle maintenance (which many other providers do not provide), roadside assistance, and other one-time services.
Learn more in our comprehensive review of Endurance extended auto warranty >>
- Direct Warranty Provider (Not a Broker)
- Can Choose Any ASE-Certified Repair Shop
- Great Customer Service Reputation
- Advantage Plan Includes Vehicle Maintenance (Which Is Rare)
- The Vehicle Must Be Under 20 Years Old
- Must Choose Endurance Elite or Advantage for Lasting Additional Benefits
Best Extended Warranty for Customer Support: Olive.com
Olive.com, a digital warranty company, focuses on addressing the common concerns with the lack of transparency in the industry. They are one of the few providers that offer vehicle protection in California, commonly known as an MBI.
Despite being a relatively new company, they have a strong A+ rating on the BBB and 4 out of 5 stars on Google Reviews.
Learn all about Olive.com car warranties and what sets them apart in our full Olive.com extended warranty review >>
- Mechanical Breakdown Insurance Available in California
- No Robocalls
- Can Get Next-Day Coverage (No Inspection)
- RepairPal Partner
- Vehicle Must Be 10 Years Old or Newer
- Does Not Cover Vehicles Used for Ride-Shares or Commercial Use
Best Extended Warranty for High Mileage Used Cars: CARCHEX
CARCHEX offers five different extended warranty plans to choose from, several of which are geared toward vehicles with over 60,000 miles. For example, their Gold Plan is meant for vehicles with over 60,000 miles, and it covers all powertrain systems.
CARCHEX offers different coverage options for vehicles with up to 250,000 miles, while most other providers cap it at 200,000 miles.
We tell you everything you need to know about CARCHEX in our honest review >>
- Strong Customer Service
- 30-Day Money-Back Guarantee
- Over Two Decades of Experience
- Plans Geared Toward Used Vehicles
- Additional Fee for Hybrid Vehicles
- Not as Many Choices for High-End Vehicles
Most Affordable Extended Warranty: CarShield
CarShield offers 6 different levels of coverage as well as a Roadside Protection Bundle.
While the cost will vary depending on the plan, length of coverage, and your vehicle, they are well-known for being an affordable option. They offer month-to-month contracts as well.
We break down everything you need to know in our CarShield review here >>
- Pick From Any ASE-Certified Repair Shop
- 24/7 Roadside Assistance
- Transferable Warranties
- Affordable Monthly Pricing
- Unlimited Coverage Periods
- Offers Coverage for ATVs, Motorcycles, etc.
- Does Not Offer Rental Car Reimbursement With Every Plan
- You May Have to Wait to Speak With an Agent
Availability & Coverage Comparison
- CarEdge: CarEdge extended warranties are available in all states except Massachusetts.
- Endurance: Endurance extended warranty plans are available for cars with up to 200,000 miles in all states except California.
- Olive.com: Olive.com extended warranties are available in the entire US including mechanical breakdown insurance in California for vehicles up to 10 years old.
- CARCHEX: CARCHEX extended warranties are available for vehicles with up to 250,000 miles and in all 50 states.
- CarShield: CarShield extended warranties cover vehicles with up to 300,000 miles in all states except California.
|Max Vehicle Age / Mileage
- CarEdge: CarEdge offers 4 plans with varying levels of coverage.
- Endurance: Endurance has 6 different plans to choose from including an exclusionary plan that closely matches the manufacturer’s bumper-to-bumper warranties.
- Olive.com: Olive.com has 3 different plans to choose from including a Complete Care that is similar to the factory warranty.
- CARCHEX: They offer 5 customizable plans with options for older/high mileage vehicles.
- CarShield: They have 6 different warranty plans available.
- CarEdge: The average cost of a CarEdge extended warranty plan is often under $120 per month.
- Endurance: On average the total cost for an Endurance extended warranty plan ranges from $2,500 to $3,900. The average monthly cost is around $86- $124.
- Olive.com: The average monthly cost of an Olive.com extended warranty plan is $30 - $80.
- CARCHEX: CARCHEX plans cost around $3,000 on average. This breaks down to $100 - $160 per month depending on the details of the plan.
- CarShield: CarShield plans costs roughly $89 - $129 per month.
|Average Monthly Cost
Customer Satisfaction Comparison
- CarEdge: CarEdge extended warranties are fairly new, and do not have many reviews.
- Endurance: Endurance has 4.4 stars on Trustpilot and 3.36 stars on the BBB. Customer reviews praise customer service and the easy claims process.
- Olive.com: Despite being a newer company, Olive.com has many positive reviews. They have 4.5 stars in Consumer Affairs.
- CARCHEX: CARCHEX has many positive reviews about their customer service and they have an A+ BBB rating. However, they do only have 3.1 stars on Trustpilot.
- CarShield: Overall, CarShield has a good reputation. They have 4.1 stars on Google Reviews and 4.0 stars on Trustpilot. Many reviews praise the simple, easy claims process. However, other reviews state the opposite.
Additional Benefits Comparison
- CarEdge: With a CarEdge extended warranty, you receive car-buying advice and resources, towing for up to 150 miles, roadside assistance, and trade-in value assessment.
- Endurance: All Endurance extended warranties come with one free year of Endurance Elite Benefits. These benefits include tire repair & replacement, $1,000 of total loss replacement, a $500 collision discount for up to two accidents, $500 key fob replacement, and 24/7 roadside assistance.
- Olive.com: Olive.com extended warranty benefits include towing and rental car reimbursement.
- CARCHEX: CARCHEX plans come with some key additional benefits including rental car reimbursement, trip interruption, and roadside assistance.
- CarShield: CarShield's additional benefits include roadside assistance. You can also purchase a roadside protection bundle for an additional fee.
Methodology: How We Determined Our Picks
How did we determine our picks for the various categories of the best extended car warranties?
We did a careful analysis of the top providers out there. We looked at their coverage plans, including the number of plans and what each covered, the websites, their transparency/ease of use, customer reviews, and any additional benefits. We analyzed this key information for each of the car warranty providers, compiling individual reviews before performing our comparison.
At every step of the process, we made sure to use an unbiased approach and prioritize the best interest of you, the customer.
If you'd like to see which manufacturer offers the best warranty, check out our post here.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the best third-party extended warranty provider?
CarEdge, CarShield, CARCHEX, Olive.com, and Endurance are top-rated third-party extended warranty providers. There is no one answer for the best provider; it depends on your needs, budgets, location, and more. We recommend you obtain quotes from these providers to learn which is best for you. But if we had to pick, CarEdge and Endurance offer the best plans and benefits.
What is the best third-party extended warranty for used cars?
Several third-party extended warranty providers offer plans for used cars. We recommend CARCHEX for high-mileage used cars, as they have several options catered to high-mileage vehicles. Still, you should get quotes from several sources before making a decision.
Which car manufacturer has the best extended warranty?
Many car manufacturers offer compelling extended warranties on their vehicles. In 2022, Genesis, Hyundai, and Mitsubishi offer the two best extended warranties with coverage for 5 years / 60,000 miles and a Powertrain warranty of 10 years / 100,000 miles.
Who has the best powertrain warranty?
Hyundai, Mitsubishi, and Genesis offer the best powertrain warranties with coverage of up to 10 years / 100,000 miles. All of the third-party warranty providers also offer powertrain coverage.
What extended warranty providers are available in California?
Many extended warranty providers are not available in California due to strict laws and regulations. However, there are a few Mechanical Breakdown insurance providers available in that state, including Olive.com, CARCHEX, and autopom!.
What is a good price for an extended warranty?
The price of an extended warranty can vary immensely depending on several factors. In general, the average cost of an extended warranty comes in at a little under $2,500 for the total plan. Based on the costs of the providers we reviewed, the monthly cost may vary from $50-$175 per month.