How to Sell Your Car to a Junkyard: A Complete Guide
Chris is Head of Content for FindTheBestCarPrice and is based out of Philadelphia, PA. As a seasoned automotive industry analyst and car enthusiast, he ensures the highest level of quality across all our content and curates our picks for the best deals each month.
Chris studied information systems and marketing at Drexel University and writes about a wide range of topics ranging from car buying tips to troubleshooting common mechanical issues.
When he’s not thinking about cars, he likes to stay in with his dog and make an “attempt” to finish a crossword puzzle (he’s not quite at the Saturday/Sunday level…yet). As a former cheesemonger, Chris still has a “sharp” passion for all things cheese, and his fridge is always loaded with it!
Your car is officially junk and you need to sell it.
In this guide, we will provide a detailed overview of the steps to successfully sell your car to a junkyard, including all of the necessary paperwork and tips to get the best deal.
Table of Contents
- Selling Your Junk Car: What You Need to Know
- Preparing the Necessary Documents
- Removing Personal Belongings and Valuable Parts
- Finding Suitable Junkyards
- Preparing Your Car for Delivery
- Comparing Quotes and Negotiating the Deal
- Negotiating Terms and Conditions When Selling Your Car to a Junkyard
- Best Car Deals by Category
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Get a fair price for your car no matter the condition (totaled, flooded, scrap, etc.)
- Instant cash offer, good for 7 days
- Free towing and you'll avoid typical junk removal fees
- Sell your vehicle without leaving your home.
Selling Your Junk Car: What You Need to Know
If you have a junk car that you want to get rid of, selling it to a junkyard is a great option. Junkyards buy cars in any condition. Better yet, they often offer you cash on the spot.
Here are some things to keep in mind when selling your junk car:
- Remove Personal Belongings: Before selling your car, remove all personal belongings from the vehicle.
- Know Your Vehicle's Make and Model: Junkyards will ask you about your car's make and model, so make sure you know this information before contacting them.
- Get Multiple Quotes: To ensure you get the best price for your car, get quotes from multiple junk car buyers.
- Consider Free Towing: Some junkyards offer free towing services, which can save you money on transportation costs.
- Transfer Ownership: When selling your car to a junkyard, transfer ownership to the buyer. This will protect you from any liability issues that may arise in the future.
It's important to note that selling your car to a junkyard may not be the most profitable option. If your car carries sentimental value or has valuable parts, you may want to consider selling it to a state-licensed dealership or private buyer instead.
However, if you need to get rid of your damaged car fast, selling it to a junkyard is a convenient and hassle-free option.
Preparing the Necessary Documents
Before selling your car to a junkyard, it is crucial to have all the necessary documents in order.
The most important document is the vehicle's title, which proves ownership and allows for a legal sale. If you've lost or misplaced your title, you can get a copy from your state's Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV).
Ensure any liens on the vehicle are paid off prior to selling.
Obtaining a Duplicate Title from DMV
To get a duplicate title, visit your local DMV office and complete an application form. There may be associated fees depending on your state's regulations.
Clearing Outstanding Liens
Before selling, ensure any outstanding liens on the car due to auto loans or other financial obligations have been settled with the lienholder.
Removing Personal Belongings and Valuable Parts
Before selling your junk car, remove all personal belongings from the vehicle.
This includes keychains hanging from rearview mirrors, bumper magnets, and any other personal effects. You should also consider detaching valuable aftermarket components installed on the car since they might fetch higher profits if sold separately through private channels.
- Take out personal items: Ensure you have thoroughly checked every compartment in your vehicle for any forgotten belongings before contacting potential buyers at local junkyards or salvage yards.
- Detaching valuable aftermarket components: If your car has expensive parts like custom wheels or high-end audio systems, remove them prior to selling the vehicle as they can be worth more when sold individually.
Finding Suitable Junkyards
When looking to sell your car to a junkyard, find a reputable buyer that offers fair prices and reliable services.
Start by researching potential buyers online and checking their reviews. Take note of any fees associated with their services, such as towing charges, to avoid any surprises later on.
- Check online reviews for reputable establishments: Look up customer feedback on websites like Yelp or Google Reviews to gauge the credibility and reliability of local businesses that buy junk cars.
- Inquire about service fees: Contact your shortlisted junk car buyers to ask about additional costs related to their services, including whether they offer free towing or charge extra for pick-up.
Preparing Your Car for Delivery
Before delivering your car to the junkyard, complete all necessary preparations. First, gather all required paperwork. Then, remove license plates and any valuable accessories or electronics.
Removing License Plates and Accessories
Dismount license plates as they will be needed for future registration purposes.
Take off any aftermarket parts that could fetch a higher price through private sales channels.
Drain Fluids Properly
To avoid environmental hazards during transportation, properly drain fluids such as gasoline, coolant, and oil from your vehicle.
Comparing Quotes and Negotiating the Deal
Before finalizing a deal with a junkyard, compare different quotes offered by selected establishments.
Keep in mind factors besides just the amount of cash being proposed. Consider whether they offer free pick up or charge extra for this service.
When evaluating offers from multiple junkyards, consider:
- The price offered for your car
- Towing fees (if any)
- Pick-up services provided
Negotiating Terms and Conditions When Selling Your Car to a Junkyard
Be open to negotiations regarding the final figure agreed upon. If possible, try to negotiate a higher sale price if you will drive your car to their location.
Selling your car to a junkyard is a great way to get rid of a vehicle that is no longer functional or too expensive to maintain. By following the tips outlined in this article, you can ensure that you get the best price for your car and that the process goes smoothly.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why do cars go to junkyards?
Cars go to junkyards when they are no longer functional, damaged beyond repair, or too expensive to maintain.
How does Cash for Clunkers work?
The Cash for Clunkers program was a government initiative that offered financial incentives to car owners who traded in their old, less fuel-efficient vehicles for new, more environmentally friendly models. The goal of the program was to stimulate economic growth while reducing greenhouse gas emissions by taking older cars off the road.