We Buy Any Car Review: Can I Get a Good Price for My Car?
Get an online quote and sell your car fast and easy.
That’s the experience WeBuyAnyCar promises with their online car-selling service. With over 400 locations in the U.K. and availability in 14 states in the United States, their service has helped millions of people sell their cars.
But do you really get the best deal this way?
Here’s my full review of WeBuyAnyCar and if they live up to their promises.
Table of Contents
- What Is We Buy Any Car?
- How Does We Buy Any Car Work?
- How Do You Sell a Car Through We Buy Any Car?
- Can You Buy a Car Through We Buy Any Car?
- Can You Negotiate with We Buy Any Car?
- We Buy Any Car Fees – What’s the Catch?
- Will We Buy Any Car Pickup My Car?
- How Do I Get Paid Through We Buy Any Car?
- Will We Buy Any Car Accept My Car If I Have a Loan or Lease?
- We Buy Any Car Review – The Good & Bad
- We Buy Any Car Customer Reviews and Complaints
- Alternatives to We Buy Any Car
- Best Car Deals by Category
- Frequently Asked Questions
What Is We Buy Any Car?
WeBuyAnyCar is an online car selling platform based in the UK. The site launched in 2006 and was the first online car-buying service in the UK. They provide a fast, convenient process for selling a car from the comfort of your home.
Is We Buy Any Car Legit?
WeBuyAnyCar is a legitimate service for selling vehicles online. They have served over 2 million customers and earned an impressive 4.6 out of 5 stars on Trustpilot.
However, in 2011, the Office of Fair trading (OTF) took action against WeBuyAnyCar. The investigation revealed that the vast majority of customers (96%) received less for their vehicles than the valuation they were given. In response, WeBuyAnyCar followed all of the OFT requirements to ensure accurate information.
Where Are We Buy Any Car Locations?
WeBuyAnyCar is located in the UK. The company has over 400 branches throughout the UK. For example, they have branches in Ashdord, Barnsley London, Belfast, Bedford, Durham, Edinburgh, and more.
They also have branches in the following states in the US: Delaware, Florida, Indiana, Kentucky, Maryland, Mississippi, Missouri, New Jersey, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, and Virginia.
How Does We Buy Any Car Work?
WeBuyAnyCar has a fairly simple process. First, you input your vehicle information. You then get your valuation, schedule an inspection, and receive your final offer. Here’s what you need to know:
We Buy Any Car Inspection Process
WeBuyAnyCar inspects all of the vehicles they buy. First, the seller inputs the details of the vehicle on the website. Based on the information entered, WeBuyAnyCar provides an online valuation of the vehicle.
However, the online valuation is not the final price. Sellers must bring their vehicle to the nearest location for an in-person inspection.
During the inspection bring your V5/V5C (for UK customers), ID, proof of address, car service history, and bank details. The representative will assess your vehicle and provide you with your final offer. Based on the findings of the inspection, the final offer may change from the online valuation.
Use the free Edmunds appraisal tool below to get an estimate and compare against WeBuyAnyCar's offer.
How Does We Buy Any Car Calculate the Car's Value?
WeBuyAnyCar relies on an algorithm to calculate the valuation for your vehicle. Based on the mileage and registration number you entered, their online platform calculates the value. The platform is based on average trade values and auction returns.
This is part of the reason your final valuation may be different from your online valuation. Upon inspecting your vehicle, they will have an idea of its condition, which impacts the valuation.
How Do You Sell a Car Through We Buy Any Car?
Selling a vehicle through WeBuyAnyCar is fairly simple. Here are the steps:
- Enter the vehicle details (mileage and registration information)
- Receive the valuation which is good for 7 days
- Make an appointment at the nearest branch
- At your appointment time, bring the vehicle to the nearest branch
- A representative will assess the vehicle.
- Choose to proceed with the sale, or walk away free of obligation
- Upon final assessment, you receive a final quote
- Receive payment upon completion of the sale
Can You Buy a Car Through We Buy Any Car?
No, you cannot purchase a vehicle through WeBuyAnyCar. You can only sell your vehicle to them.
Can You Negotiate with We Buy Any Car?
Yes, you can negotiate with them. The agents are not likely to tolerate much haggling (up to around 10%), but it’s possible. Those who go in prepared to negotiate and willing to walk away are the most likely to secure the best offer. Enter the appointment prepared with quotes from several sources.
We Buy Any Car Fees – What’s the Catch?
How Does We Buy Any Car Make Money?
They make money the same way other used car dealers do. They purchase your vehicle below market price and then sell it for more to earn a profit.
When selling a vehicle through WeBuyAnyCar, you will need to pay a transaction fee. The transaction fee applies at the point of sale. Should you decide not to proceed with the sale, you will not owe the fee. The transaction fee varies based on the final price of the car. They may charge an additional documentation fee as well.
If you want to receive payment for your vehicle faster than the standard 4-day processing time, you can pay for expedited payment.
Will We Buy Any Car Pickup My Car?
WeBuyAnyCar does not offer vehicle pickup services. You must make arrangements to bring the vehicle to a local drop-off. However, they are willing to help you during the process should you need to make delivery arrangements.
How Do I Get Paid Through We Buy Any Car?
You will receive payment via direct deposit within 4 business days after the vehicle sale. They use a standard bank transfer service. Should you desire quicker payment for your vehicle, you can pay for same-day or next-day service.
Will We Buy Any Car Accept My Car If I Have a Loan or Lease?
WeBuyAnyCar is willing to consider vehicles with outstanding finances. You must provide them with a letter from the finance company that details the settlement figure and your reference number. WeBuyAnyCar will deduct the amount remaining from your final offer, and you will be paid the difference.
If you are upside down in a loan, then you must pay WeBuyAnyCar the shortfall.
They do not clarify about purchasing vehicles in leases.
We Buy Any Car Review – The Good & Bad
Pros: Here’s What I Like About We Buy Any Car
- Online Tool. Fast online valuation.
- Easy. Overall simple process.
- Fast. Fast payout (4 days, or sooner if you pay for expedited service)
- Sell for Others. Can sell for family or friends
Cons: Here’s What I Don’t Like About We Buy Any Car
- Deduct for Minor Issues. They may deduct a significant amount from your final offer due to seemingly minute cosmetic issues.
- Low Final Offer. There can be a big difference between the online valuation and your final offer.
- No Pickup. Must bring the vehicle to a branch for inspection, no pickup option.
- Can't Buy. No option to buy or trade-in a vehicle with them.
- Lack of Transparency. Unclear what they do with the vehicles once purchased.
We Buy Any Car Customer Reviews and Complaints
By far the biggest customer complaints are about the difference between the online valuation and the final offer after inspection. Many customers feel that they deduct a lot of money from the valuation for very minor issues.
On the other hand, customers seem to really enjoy the quick, convenient process. Some customers state the opposite of the complaints, raving that they received a great deal for their vehicle.
Overall, the company has a fairly solid customer reputation. They have 4.4 out of 5 stars (15,142 reviews) on Review Centre and 4.6 out of 5 stars on Trust Pilot.
Alternatives to We Buy Any Car
WeBuyAnyCar is not the only option for selling your car. Here are some other alternatives:
- Carvana: Carvana connects you to their virtual dealership for buying cars, but you can also sell your vehicle to them. Read our full Carvana review to learn more.
- Vroom: Buy or sell completely online with Vroom. They offer a haggle-free, easy process for buying or selling. Learn more about Vroom in our review, and read the full comparison between Carvana and Vroom.
- CarMax: Buy or sell certified used vehicles through CarMax. You can also enjoy delivery or curbside pickup. Check out our full review of CarMax.
- CarsDirect: CarsDirect is for those who are looking to buy or finance used or new vehicles. The platform connects you to dealers and lenders to simplify the process. Read our review to learn more about CarsDirect.
- Rental Car Companies: Looking to buy a good quality, affordable used vehicle? Then consider buying from a rental company. Here we compare Hertz, Avis, and Enterprise.
- Costco Auto Program: Costco Members get access to the Costo Auto Program. While you cannot sell your vehicle through the program, you can trade in it. Here’s our in-depth review of the Costo Auto Program.
- Sam's Club Auto Program: Sam’s Club, powered by TrueCar, offers competitive pricing on new and used cars for its members. Read our full review here.
- AAA Auto Program: The AAA Auto Buying program is for members of the American Automobile Association. It connects AAA members with no-haggle deals with certified dealers. Check out our full review here.
Used Car Deal Search
Frequently Asked Questions
What does We Buy Any Car do after they buy your car?
After buying your car, WeBuyAnyCar “supplies it back into the trade.” The description they provide is a bit vague and elusive. Many believe they sell the cars at auction or to dealers.
Does We Buy Any Car give you an accurate and fair price?
Customers have mixed experiences with the pricing from WeBuyAnyCar. Undoubtedly, the company had trouble with this in the past. However, they are now clear about the difference between online valuation and in-person valuation (post-inspection). Ultimately, this means the online valuation may not be as accurate as many customers would like.
How fast does We Buy Any Car payout?
WeBuyAnyCar pays out within four working days. You can pay a fee for expedited same-day or next-day service.
Will We Buy Any Car really buy a car in any condition?
WeBuyAnyCar purchases vehicles in a wide variety of conditions. They are willing to purchase cars that are damaged or in need of repair. However, keep in mind that the condition of the vehicle directly affects the offer you will receive. Furthermore, failing to declare the damage/faults will lead to your final valuation being lower than your online valuation.
Can I sell to We Buy Any Car on behalf of someone else?
You are allowed to sell a car to WeBuyAnyCar on behalf of someone else. You must bring the ID for the vehicle owner, registered keeper proof of address, a letter of authority that indicates you can sell the vehicle, payment registered to the owner’s bank account, and your photo ID.
How long does it take to sell a car on We Buy Any Car?
The total time of the process of selling to WeBuyAnyCar will vary depending on your distance to the locations, appointment availability, negotiation, and more. The actual appointment takes under 30 minutes, and so does finalizing the sale. If you live near a location, you could reasonably sell your car to them in less than one day.