Truck Ratings: What Are the Best 3/4 Ton Trucks?
Michael Collado is a car buying expert and has been a professional automotive writer since 2009. He’s written about dealership sales, vehicle reviews and comparisons, and service and maintenance for over 100 national automotive dealerships. Previously, Collado was a copywriter at the ad agency TBWA/Chiat/Day where he worked on brand campaigns for Nissan, ABC Television, Sony PlayStation, and Energizer. His recognition in the ad industry includes awards from Communication Arts and The Clios.
Collado has a Bachelor’s degree from the University of South Florida, with a major in Psychology and a minor in Marketing.
If you're looking for a truck that is going to give you more towing power and payload capability than a half-ton truck, then you will want to consider a ¾ truck.
Three-quarter-ton trucks sit in the middle in terms of truck sizes, so it's a balance of performance and cost when choosing the right model.
We've compared all the three-quarter-ton trucks and looked at their towing, payload, value, and reliability to select our top picks.
Need more power? Check out our list of the best one-ton trucks >>
Table of Contents
- What Is a ¾-Ton Truck?
- Preview of Our Best ¾-Ton Trucks
- Best Overall Three-Quarter-Ton Truck
- Best Three-Quarter-Ton Truck for Towing
- Best Three-Quarter-Ton Truck for Payload
- Cheapest Three-Quarter-Ton Truck
- Most Reliable Three-Quarter-Ton Truck
- Best Diesel Three-Quarter-Ton Truck
- Advice For Choosing The Best ¾-Truck
- What to Consider Before Buying
- What Can a Three-Quarter-Ton Truck Pull?
- Best Car Deals by Category
- Frequently Asked Questions
What Is a ¾-Ton Truck?
A 3/4-ton truck is a medium-duty pickup designed for greater payload and towing capacity than light-duty trucks, but less than heavy-duty ones.
Originally named for their ability to carry 1,500 pounds, modern 3/4-ton trucks like the Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD and Ford F-250 Super Duty far exceed this payload.
They're ideal for demanding tasks that require durability and towing strength, while still being suitable for everyday use.
History and Evolution of ¾-Ton Trucks
To help you see just how far ¾-ton trucks have come, let’s take a look at how they’ve evolved.
- 1978: Introduction of the first diesel engines in trucks, marking a significant shift in power and efficiency.
- 1988-1998: Shift to independent front suspension in 4th generation C/K trucks, enhancing vehicle handling and comfort.
- 1990-1995: Introduction of performance and safety features, including sport suspensions, advanced engines, and safety features like ABS.
- 2007-2013: Focus on fuel economy and interior comfort, with improvements in aerodynamics and interior design.
- 2023-2024: Significant advancements in towing and payload capacities, with models like the Ford F-250 Super Duty capable of handling up to 24,200 lbs. Enhanced engine performance and comprehensive warranties become standard, reflecting the modern demands for high performance and versatility.
Preview of Our Best ¾-Ton Trucks
Best Overall Three-Quarter-Ton Truck
If you're looking for a ¾-ton truck that does it all, then you'll want to get the Ford F-250 Super Duty. For over a century, Ford has been known for building the most popular pick-up trucks on the planet. When it comes to heavy-duty trucks, Ford gets it right with the F-250 Super Duty.
So why should you choose the F-250 over other ¾-ton trucks on the market? Let’s start with the fact that this heavy-duty truck comes standard with a powerful 6.7-liter Powerstroke V-8 engine. This big engine allows the F-250 Superduty to have the best tow rating in its class. Additionally, the F-250 Super Duty is available with either a gas or a diesel-powered engine.
- Powerful engines, including a class-leading high-output 6.7-liter Power Stroke V8 turbo-diesel.
- Equipped with lots of advanced new technology.
- Offers decent ride comfort and class-leading towing ability.
- The base model XL is relatively spartan in features.
- The overall design looks very similar to the older models.
Best Three-Quarter-Ton Truck for Towing
It should be no surprise that the Ford F-250 Super Duty is here. Thanks to its massive 6.7-liter Powerstroke V-8 engine, this heavy-duty truck has a max tow rating of 22,000 pounds.
Coming in second is the RAM 2500, with 20,000 when equipped with its Cummins diesel engine.
After that, GM’s line-up of ¾-ton trucks gives you a max tow rating of 18,510 pounds.
- Check out our picks for the best trucks for towing >>
Best Three-Quarter-Ton Truck for Payload
We don’t want to sound like a broken record here, but the Ford F-250 Super Duty does it again. Whether you're looking to carry a couple of motorbikes or a bunch of construction materials, the F-250 Super Duty will carry what you need. This heavy-duty truck comes with a max payload rating of 4,260 pounds.
Coming in second is the RAM 2500 which has a max payload rating of 4,010 pounds. After that, GM's Silverado and Sierra 2500 give you a max payload rating of 3,979 pounds.
2023 F-250 Updates
With the new model comes a new off-road package. Available on four-wheel-drive, single-rear-wheel rigs, this package adds 33-inch all-terrain tires, water-fording axle vent tubes, a raised air dam, skid plates, and an electronic-locking rear differential.
Cheapest Three-Quarter-Ton Truck
If you're shopping for a ¾-ton truck, then you know that these big trucks are not on the cheap side.
However, if you're on a budget, then you'll be glad to know that the cheapest new ¾-ton truck available is the Chevy Silverado HD, with a starting price of just $35,300.
This undercuts the Ford F-250 Super Duty by more than $2,000.
2023 Chevy Silverado HD Update
There are no changes for the 2023 model year. However, we are expecting to see a major redesign for the 2024 model year. We will update this section as soon as the manufacturer details are available.
- The Silverado 2500HD boasts a powerful diesel engine.
- It features excellent towing capability and technology.
- The truck offers a variety of body and powertrain combinations./li>
- The interior design and materials are considered underwhelming.
- It has a vague and numb steering feel, which might impact driving experience.
Most Reliable Three-Quarter-Ton Truck
If you're looking for a ¾-ton truck that will last, then you'll want to go with the F-250 Super Duty. These heavy-duty trucks feature some of the most advanced engineering in their class.
A well-maintained F-250 Super Duty should be able to give you at least 200,000 miles before you need to get an engine overhaul.
If you're looking for something other than a Ford, then you may want to consider the GMC Sierra 2500HD, which is known for having high reliability ratings.
2023 GMC Sierra 2500HD Updates
Don’t expect any major changes for the 2023 model year. GMC has announced that a major redesign is coming for the 2024 model year. When information becomes available, we will update this section.
- The optional diesel engine provides robust power for demanding tasks.
- Advanced in-cab technology and towing camera system enhance the driving experience.
- The MultiPro tailgate option adds versatility and practicality for various uses.
- It falls short of rivals in maximum towing and payload capacity.
- The interior design, controls, and materials feel dated compared to competitors.
Best Diesel Three-Quarter-Ton Truck
If you want to get lots more torque, then you'll want to get a diesel ¾-ton truck. The good news is that there are several excellent choices out there.
However, our pick goes to the F-250 Super Duty with its 6.7-liter turbodiesel V-8. This powerful engine gives you up to 1,050 pounds of torque. Also, the MPG rating on the diesel version of the F-250 Super Duty is respectable, with up to 21 miles per gallon on the highway.
Advice For Choosing The Best ¾-Truck
Choosing the best ¾ truck for your needs requires careful consideration. With so many great options on the market, you must assess what works best for your needs.
The most important advice for picking a ¾ truck is to always test-drive them. Reading about the various truck features and reviews is helpful, but the best way to see how the truck feels is to drive it.
Compile a list of your top truck choices based on the features and details above. Then, make sure to test drive each one. Drive the trucks on various terrain, and try different tasks, like parking, highway driving, etc. Make notes about each truck after your test drive so you can compare later and choose the best ⅗-truck.
What to Consider Before Buying
Before buying a ¾-ton truck, you must evaluate a few considerations including:
- Use Requirements: Do you plan to use the truck for personal use or work? What payload capacity and towing capabilities do you need?
- Reliability: Look for a durable truck option with good reliability ratings and reviews. You want a long-lasting, sturdy vehicle.
- Safety Features: Modern ¾ trucks should include advanced safety technology. Look for anti-lock brakes, stability control, and other key features.
- Pricing and Financing: Set your budget and research to find the best deal. Compare quotes from several sources and inquire about incentives to ensure you get the best value.
What Can a Three-Quarter-Ton Truck Pull?
One of the reasons why you'll want to consider a ¾-ton truck is because of its excellent towing and trailering capability. The ¾-ton truck with the highest tow rating is the Ford F-250 Super Duty with a max tow rating of up to 22,000 pounds. This is more than enough for you to tow a large trailer over long distances.
If you opt to go with another ¾-ton truck, then don’t worry. Most of these super-duty trucks can tow around 20,000 pounds, which makes them suitable for large trailer towing.
It's clear that models like the Ford F-250 Super Duty lead the pack in terms of power and reliability. With each truck offering unique strengths, from towing capacity to value, our guide aims to help you navigate your options with confidence. Whether it's for hefty towing jobs or everyday utility, there's a three-quarter-ton truck that meets your needs.
For the latest insights, exclusive reviews, and more in-depth comparisons, sign up for the FTBCP newsletter. Stay informed and make empowered decisions in your truck selection journey.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the best 3/4 ton truck available right now?
If you're looking for the best overall ¾ ton truck in terms of power and reliability, then you'll want to go with the Ford F-250 Super Duty. Yes, you will pay a little bit of a premium versus other ¾ ton trucks in its class. However, the high level of engineering and performance is worth the higher price.
What is the best 3/4 ton truck for towing?
Currently, the Ford F-250 Super Duty has a max tow rating of 22,000 pounds. The runner-up in towing belongs to the RAM 2500 with a max tow rating of 20,000 pounds when equipped with the Cummins diesel engine. Finally, the Chevy Silverado HD and GMC Sierra 2500 have a max tow rating of 18,510.
What is the cheapest 3/4 ton truck?
The least expensive ¾ ton truck on the market is the Chevy Silverado HD with a starting price of $35,300.
What is the most reliable 3/4 ton truck?
According to most magazines and consumer rating services, the top ¾ ton truck in terms of reliability is the Ford F-250. This is due to the truck’s high level of engineering and its long-term track record of reliable performance.
What is the most powerful 3/4 ton truck?
Currently, the most powerful ¾ ton truck belongs to the Ford F-250 Super Duty. The standard 6.7-liter V-8 engine offers up to 385 horsepower.