Full-Size Trucks with the Highest Towing Capacity [2023 Edition]
Michael Collado is a car buying expert and has been a professional automotive writer since 2009. He’s written about dealership sales, vehicle reviews and comparisons, and service and maintenance for over 100 national automotive dealerships. Previously, Collado was a copywriter at the ad agency TBWA/Chiat/Day where he worked on brand campaigns for Nissan, ABC Television, Sony PlayStation, and Energizer. His recognition in the ad industry includes awards from Communication Arts and The Clios.
Collado has a Bachelor’s degree from the University of South Florida, with a major in Psychology and a minor in Marketing.
Discover which full-size trucks are the ideal choice for towing that trailer, boat, or toy hauler
When it comes to towing, many truck enthusiasts opt for a half-ton truck due to its versatility and practicality.
To help you find the ideal full-size truck for towing, we've created this top list based on currently available 2023 models.
It should be noted that full-size trucks can also be categorized as ½ ton trucks. Since the full-size truck is the term used more often, we will be referring to these models as full-size trucks.
Looking for more models? Check out our full list of trucks with the highest towing capacity >>
Table of Contents
Factors Used to Rank Full-Sized Trucks for Towing
When it comes to ranking full-size trucks for towing, there are several factors to consider. Here are the factors our editors used to rank in our full-sized trucks towing ranking.
- Towing capacity: This is perhaps the most important factor to consider when looking for a truck for towing. Towing capacity refers to the maximum weight a truck can tow safely. The higher the towing capacity, the more weight the truck can handle.
- Engine power: A powerful engine is essential for towing heavy loads. The engine should have enough horsepower and torque to handle the weight of the trailer and its cargo.
- Transmission: The transmission plays a critical role in towing. Look for a truck with a transmission designed specifically for towing, such as a heavy-duty automatic transmission.
- Trailer sway control: Trailer sway control is a safety feature that helps to prevent the trailer from swaying while on the road. Look for a truck with a reliable trailer sway control system.
- Brake controller: A brake controller is an essential component for towing. It helps to synchronize the braking system of the truck and the trailer, ensuring that the trailer brakes are applied at the same time as the truck brakes.
- Suspension: A truck's suspension system is important for towing heavy loads. Look for a truck with a suspension system designed specifically for towing, such as an air suspension system.
- Rear axle ratio: The rear axle ratio determines how much torque is transmitted to the wheels. Look for a truck with a high rear axle ratio, as it can help improve towing performance.
- Cooling system: Towing generates a lot of heat, so it's important to have a robust cooling system to keep the engine and transmission from overheating. Look for a truck with a heavy-duty cooling system designed for towing.
Best Full-Size Trucks for Towing
|Truck Model||Maximum Towing Capacity (lbs)||Unique Towing Feature|
1. Ram 1500
The Ram 1500 is a popular choice among truck buyers for its impressive towing capacity of up to 12,750 pounds. Its unique feature is the multifunction tailgate with 60/40 split doors that allows for easier loading and unloading. The Ram 1500 also comes with an optional air suspension system that can automatically level the truck and adjust to the weight of the load.
2. Ford F-150
The Ford F-150 is another popular choice for its towing capacity of up to 14,000 pounds. It features the Pro Trailer Backup Assist and Trailer Reverse Guidance system that makes it easier to maneuver the truck and trailer in tight spaces. The F-150 also comes with an optional trailer tow package that includes a hitch receiver, wiring harness, and trailer sway control. It should also be noted that the Ford F-150 is the top-selling ½ ton truck in the world.
3. Chevrolet Silverado 1500
The Chevrolet Silverado 1500 is a reliable half-ton truck that can tow up to 13,300 pounds. Its unique feature is the Advanced Trailering System with an in-vehicle trailering app that allows you to monitor the trailer's tire pressure, temperature, and other important metrics. The Silverado also comes with an optional Max Trailering Package that includes a trailer brake controller and a heavy-duty suspension system.
4. GMC Sierra
The GMC Sierra is another great option with a towing capacity of up to 11,800 pounds. It features the ProGrade Trailering system that includes a trailering app, trailer light test, and hitch guidance. The Sierra also offers an optional Max Trailering Package that includes an automatic locking rear differential, a trailer brake controller, and a heavy-duty cooling system.
5. Toyota Tundra
The Toyota Tundra has a maximum towing capacity of up to 10,200 pounds. It comes with an integrated trailer brake controller and trailer-sway control as standard features. The Tundra also offers an optional tow package that includes a Class IV hitch receiver, a transmission cooler, and a heavy-duty battery.
6. Nissan Titan
The Nissan Titan has a towing capacity of up to 9,660 pounds. It features an integrated trailer brake controller and trailer sway control as standard features. The Titan also offers an optional Tow-Haul mode that adjusts the transmission shift points and throttle response for improved towing performance.