How To Get a Rebuilt Title in New Hampshire

How to Get Rebuilt Title in New Hampshire

You must get a rebuilt title to drive or sell a significantly damaged car in New Hampshire.

To get a rebuilt title you must:

  • Get a salvage certificate
  • Repair the car
  • Pass the inspection
  • Submit the application and documents
  • Pay the fees

Let’s look at everything you need to know about how to get a rebuilt title in New Hampshire.

Key Takeaways

Here are the steps to get a rebuilt title in New Hampshire:

  • Salvage Title: Apply for a New Hampshire Salvage Title by submitting the necessary documents and a $10 fee to the DMV after your vehicle is deemed a total loss.
  • Vehicle Repair: Repair the vehicle to meet New Hampshire's road safety standards, keeping detailed records of the restoration process and parts used.
  • Vehicle Inspection: Undergo a salvaged vehicle inspection at an authorized facility to verify the repairs and ensure the vehicle meets all safety and legal requirements.
  • Submit Application and Documents: Apply for a rebuilt title and registration at the DMV, including the Salvage Vehicle Identification Number Verification Form and the salvage title, followed by a post-title safety inspection within ten days.

Rebuilt Title vs. Salvage Title

A salvage title is assigned to an automobile deemed a total loss by an insurance company due to significant damage or theft.

A rebuilt title is issued to a motor vehicle previously declared a salvage but has undergone the necessary repairs and passed a salvage inspection, making it roadworthy again.

Cost of a Rebuilt Title in New Hampshire

Here are the fees to expect when applying for a rebuilt title in New Hampshire:

  • Salvage car title: $10
  • Inspection fee: $50

How To Get a Rebuilt Title in New Hampshire

Fulfill the following requirements and following the state's regulations:

1. Apply for a New Hampshire Salvage Title

When an insurance company decides that a car can't be fixed and is totally damaged, they must send some papers to the Title Bureau at the New Hampshire Division of Motor Vehicles in Concord.

Here are the things they have to give:

  • Application for a Salvage Certificate Form.
  • A payment of $10.00 can be made by check or money order. It should be made payable to the "State of NH-DMV."
  • The car's original title must be transferred correctly to the right person.

Once all these papers are sent, the DMV will give a "Salvage Title" certificate. They will send it to the insurance company or the car owner.

2. Fix the Car to Road Safety Standards

After you receive the salvage title for your vehicle, make the necessary repairs.

Follow the laws and safety standards in New Hampshire to fix the vehicle to meet all the required specifications. This will ensure your car is safe and can legally drive.

Record the restoration process, including receipts of the parts bought.

3. Car inspection

Once you have finished fixing your salvaged car, take your repaired car to an authorized salvage inspection place that the state approves.

You can either tow it using a flatbed truck or drive it if you have a temporary license plate.

Temporary plates are valid for 20 days, and you should contact your local NH DMV office to get one.

The inspection has three primary purposes:

  1. To check that the car's identification number (VIN) is real.
  2. To ensure the repairs match what the insurance adjuster said needed fixing.
  3. To confirm that the car meets the required safety and legal standards.

You must show evidence:

  • that the necessary repairs were completed, like invoices from a certified mechanic or receipts for buying replacement parts.
  • that you own the car, like with the salvaged title or NH Division of Motor Vehicles letter
  • that the car was declared a total loss and that the repairs were done correctly.

In addition, you will pay a fee of $50 for the inspection by check or money order, payable to the "State of NH-DMV."

After the salvage inspection, the inspector will give you the Salvage Vehicle Identification Number Verification Form (Form DSMV 547). Keep this document safe because you'll need it when you apply for a rebuilt title.

4. Apply for a Rebuilt Title and Registration

After the salvage inspection, apply for a rebuilt title and registration at the New Hampshire DMV.

Getting a rebuilt title and registering a salvage vehicle is similar to getting a new one. The only difference is that your application must include the Salvage Vehicle Identification Number Verification Form (Form DSMV 547) and the salvage title.

Once you have the rebuilt title and registration, getting a safety inspection for your vehicle within ten days is vital. Remember, this safety inspection is separate from the salvage inspection.

5. Undergo a Post Title Safety Inspection

You must get a safety inspection within ten days of registering the car in New Hampshire.

Go to an authorized inspection station where an inspector will carefully check your car. The New Hampshire DMV lists authorized salvage inspection facilities on its website. You can also contact the DMV for information on approved inspection locations.

They will ensure essential things are working correctly and meet the legal and safety requirements.

They will check the following parts:

  • License plates.
  • Wipers.
  • Lights and reflectors
  • Vehicle steering
  • Fuel system.
  • Wheels and tires.
  • Brakes.

If your car is from 1996 or newer, they will also test its emissions using On-Board Diagnostics (OBD).

After the safety inspection, the inspector will give you a Vehicle Inspection Report (VIR). Keep this report in your car as proof that your vehicle meets the DMV's standards.

Learn how to get a rebuilt car title in all 50 states with our helpful guides

Frequently Asked Questions

Can I drive my vehicle with a salvage title before obtaining a rebuilt title?

No, you cannot legally operate a vehicle with a salvage title on public roads. A salvage title prohibits the vehicle from being registered or driven until it has been repaired, passed a salvage inspection, and obtained a rebuilt title.

Can I drive a rebuilt car in New Hampshire without a rebuilt title?

Yes. You can get a temporary driving plate that is valid for 20 days. The sole purpose of this driving plate is to allow you to drive the vehicle legally to inspection centers.

Can I get full coverage insurance for a car with a rebuilt title in New Hampshire?

While you can get insurance coverage with a rebuilt tile, most insurance companies are cautious about providing full coverage for rebuilt title vehicles due to their perceived higher risk.

Can I repair the vehicle myself to get a rebuilt title?

Yes, you can repair the vehicle yourself if you have the necessary skills and knowledge. However, the repairs must meet New Hampshire's laws and safety standards.

Do I need to complete a safety inspection after getting a rebuilt title?

Yes, within ten days of receiving your NH registration, your vehicle must undergo a separate safety inspection at an authorized inspection station.

Can I register a rebuilt title car in NH?

Yes, after you get the rebuilt title, you can register the vehicle at your local clerk's office.

How long does it take to get a new title in NH?

Typically, you will receive the new rebuilt title within 30-60 days after approval.