How To Get a Salvage and Rebuilt Title in Montana

How to Get Rebuilt Title in Montana

If the cost of repairing a wrecked vehicle exceeds its worth, it is dispatched to the salvage yard. Then, the insurance company declares it as a loss and compensates the policyholder for their damages.

In certain instances, a totaled car can be restored and obtain a rebuilt title for legal operation in Montana.

To get a rebuilt title in Montana, you must:

  • first acquire a salvage title
  • complete the necessary repairs
  • apply for the rebuilt title
  • pay the necessary fees

Let’s dive into how to get a rebuilt title in Montana!

Key Takeaways

  • The process to obtain a rebuilt title in Montana involves acquiring a salvage title, undergoing a detailed inspection, and submitting the necessary documentation and fees to the Motor Vehicle Division.
  • There are multiple inspection stages in Montana (Stage I, II, and III), each with specific requirements based on the vehicle's age, origin, and condition to ensure thorough verification of the vehicle's roadworthiness.
  • Once a vehicle has passed the inspection and all paperwork is submitted, the owner can receive a rebuilt title.

How to Get a Rebuilt Title in Montana

Step 1: Get Salvage Title

To obtain a salvage title from the Montana Motor Vehicle Division, visit your local county treasurer's office. Bring along the following items:

  1. A duly filled out Application for Salvage Certificate of a Vehicle (Form MV206).
  2. The original title of the car.
  3. If the salvage vehicle is less than 20 years old, complete the odometer disclosure section on the back of the title.
  4. Your valid Montana driver's license.
  5. If applicable, furnish proof of lien satisfaction.
  6. Arrange payment for the salvage title fee. Before your visit, ensure you verify the acceptable forms of payment with the county treasurer's office.

After completing these steps, you will be issued your salvage title in Montana.

Step 2: Inspection

Once you have completed rebuilding a vehicle in Montana, you must undergo a VIN inspection.

This inspection serves several purposes, including:

  • verifying the vehicle's description
  • ensuring it matches the information on the title paperwork
  • confirming the accuracy of the title details
  • validating that the state-issued VIN is unique

Montana implements three distinct inspection stages: Stage I, II, and III.

Stage I inspection

They will complete the Vehicle/Vessel/Off Highway Vehicle Identification Number Inspection Certificate (Form MV20) during the inspection.

If the examination is to be conducted by driver exam station staff, you must schedule an appointment through their offices.

Stage II Inspection

Stage II inspections are mandatory for specific types of vehicles including those:

  • five years or older
  • with an out-of-state or Montana salvage certificate issued before October 1, 2011
  • reconstructed vehicles, vehicles requiring additional VIN information
  • with identity questions

Qualified VIN inspectors are authorized to conduct these examinations, including:

  • driver exam station staff
  • Department of Justice employees
  • Montana law enforcement officers
  • motor vehicle compliance specialists.

They will also complete the Vehicle/Vessel/Off Highway Vehicle Identification Number Inspection Certificate (Form MV20).

Stage III Inspection

Stage III inspections are required for vehicles:

  • under five years old with an out-of-state or Montana salvage certificate issued before October 1, 2011.
  • when there are concerns about the vehicle's identity.

Only authorized individuals can conduct Stage III inspections, such as:

  • Commercial Vehicle Operating Licensing examiners
  • motor vehicle compliance specialists
  • driver licensing regional managers.

As part of the inspection process, they must complete Form MV208.

Step 3: Apply for rebuilt title

To get your Montana rebuilt title through the Motor Vehicle Division, visit your local county treasurer's office and submit the following items:

  1. Filled-out Application for Certificate of Title for a Motor Vehicle (Form MV1).
  2. The salvage title of your car.
  3. The paperwork provided by the inspector (as evidence of your vehicle's successful completion of the salvage inspection).
  4. Retain the bills of sale and receipts you previously presented during the inspection.
  5. Make payment for the applicable title and registration fees, which will vary based on factors such as your car's age and local taxes.

Once all the necessary documentation and payments are submitted and verified, you will be issued your rebuilt title.

This will reinstate the legal status of your car, allowing you to drive it on the road in compliance with all relevant regulations.

Step 4: Pay the fees

Several fees must be paid to get a rebuilt title in Montana including:

  • Standard fee for a salvage certificate: $5
  • Salvage Receipt Fee (applying for a salvage title after acquiring the vehicle from an insurance provider): $5.15
  • Vehicle Inspection Fee: $18.50
  • Title fee: $10

Documents To Submit for a Rebuilt Title

When applying for a rebuilt title in Montana, you are typically required to submit the following:

  • The salvage title, proof of ownership.
  • Receipts and documentation evidencing the repairs and parts used.
  • A completed application form.
  • Any other supporting documents specified by the Motor Vehicle Division.

Ensure to provide accurate and comprehensive information to facilitate the process.

Obtaining Insurance for a Vehicle With a Rebuilt Title

It is possible to find insurance providers who offer coverage for rebuilt title vehicles.

However, many view rebuilt titles as higher risk since they cannot be sure that the rebuild and re-titling process did not overlook any underlying structural damage.

Restrictions or Limitations With a Rebuilt Title

Vehicles with rebuilt titles may have certain restrictions or limitations imposed by the state or insurance providers.

These could include:

  • limitations on coverage
  • reduced resale value
  • additional inspections for registration

You must be aware of potential restrictions and comply with the applicable regulations to ensure legal compliance and a smooth ownership experience.

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I get a rebuilt title in Montana?

You must first get a salvage title. Then, fix the vehicle, undergo the inspection, and submit all documentation and fees to the DMV.

Can I sell a vehicle with a rebuilt title?

Yes, it is possible to sell a vehicle with a rebuilt title. However, you must disclose the vehicle's rebuilt status to potential buyers.

Can I drive a salvaged car without a rebuilt title?

Yes. The owner of a salvage vehicle in Montana can acquire a temporary registration permit, which allows them to transport the vehicle to and from the designated inspection site.

How long does it take to receive a title in Montana?

It can take up to four weeks. You can choose to enter your information online and print the form or manually complete the printed form.

What is the cost of transferring a title in Montana?

The fee for transferring a title in Montana depends on the type of vehicle. For lightweight vehicles, buses, and trucks weighing less than one ton, the application fee is $12. All other vehicle transfers have a fee of $10.