Delaware 2023 EV Tax Credits Guide [+ Calculate Your Savings]
Steve Birkett is an electric vehicle advocate based in Greater Boston, Massachusetts. He is a content creator and marketing professional who contributes written and recorded pieces to a wide range of media outlets. His analysis has been featured in Find The Best Car Price, WWLP TV, and Torque News, among others. He has also had video content featured on Inside EVs. Birkett was an EV Guide for Plug in America events in Massachusetts (Drive Electric Cambridge and Drive Electric Lowell) and Ohio (Earth Day 2019 at Cleveland Zoo). He participates in quarterly advisory panel meetings for EVolve New York (a state-level charging initiative) and has contributed to focus groups for prominent U.S. charging networks.
Birkett is a father-of-two who loves nothing more than packing up the family and hitting the road in their latest electric car, which is currently a 2022 Hyundai IONIQ 5. With multiple Chevy Bolts in his past, as well as a Chevy Volt and Tesla Model 3 LR in the extended family, plus various EV rentals when he ventures back home to his native United Kingdom, Birkett has more than 100,000 all-electric miles under his belt and is always ready to try out a new electric vehicle.
For press inquiries, contact [email protected]
There’s no denying that electric vehicles (EVs) are expensive, but there are federal and state incentives like rebates and tax credits to make EVs more financially appealing.
But what state EV incentive programs are in place in Delaware?
Let’s see what current incentives are available in your area and whether or not you qualify for them.
Last Updated: August 2023
Table of Contents
Delaware EV Savings Calculator
What EV Incentives Are Available in Delaware?
Delaware has the following incentives in place for electric vehicles and associated purchases for charging:
- $2,500 rebate for New Battery Electric Vehicles (including vehicles with gasoline range extenders)
- $1,000 rebate for New Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicles
- $1,500 rebate for New Dedicated Propane or Natural Gas Vehicles
- $1,350 for New Bi-Fuel Propane or Natural Gas Vehicles
Let’s take a look at each of these in more detail.
Incentives for Purchasing an EV in Delaware
Delaware offers a rebate for up to $2,500 off the purchase of a new electric vehicle.
To qualify, EV buyers must meet the following purchase criteria:
- The rebate must be applied for within 90 days of the purchase date.
- The total vehicle price, including any destination, documentation and order fees, cannot exceed $60,000
- Register as a “supplier” with the state of Delaware using the Division of Accounting eSupplier Portal
- Complete the Clean Vehicle Rebate Application. The Supplier ID number must be included on your application.
- Include proof of Delaware residency or operation (drivers license, military proof of service, business license) for application.
- Include a copy of the sales slip or lease agreement for application.
- Eligible applicants:
- Delaware residents (must provide a copy of their driver’s license).
- Active duty military members stationed in Delaware with a temporary Delaware residential address but with permanent residency in another state (must provide Proof of Service letter).
- Businesses, non-profit organizations, or other organizations with both a physical location and
- Address in Delaware and a Delaware business license (must provide copy of the business license if applying for the rebate as a business. Temporary business licenses are not accepted).
- State agencies or departments, municipal governments, or county governments in the state of Delaware.
- Schools, colleges, and universities.
- For a full list of vehicle eligibility requirements, check out this site.
Additional incentives may be available to low-income applicants. Visit this state information site to see if you meet the requirements.
If you or the model you intend to purchase do not meet the criteria for this incentive, take a look take a look at our federal EV incentives resource to see if you qualify for any federal incentives.
Other EV Incentives Offered in Delaware
Delaware offers the following incentives for electric vehicle charging, maintenance, or related benefits:
- Delmarva Power Residential Charger Rebate- eligible Maryland customers can receive a $300 rebate and $50 annual incentive for installing a qualified Level 2 electric vehicle (EV) home charger. Participants must have a secure home Wi-Fi network.
- Delaware Vehicle-to-Grid Energy Credit- Retail electricity customers with at least one grid-integrated electric vehicle (EV) may qualify to receive kilowatt-hour credits for energy discharged to the grid from the EV's battery at the same rate that the customer pays to charge the battery.
- Delmarva Power Plug-In Electric Vehicle (PEV) Charging Rate- time-of-use rate option offered to residential customers that own PEVs.
Now that you know what electric vehicle incentives are available in Delaware, what else do you need to know about making the switch to all-electric transportation?
Read our guidance on how to prepare for an EV to make sure the models you’re considering will meet your real-world driving needs!
Frequently Asked Questions
Are there incentives for purchasing an electric vehicle in Delaware?
Yes, there are state-level incentives in place when you purchase an EV in the state of Delaware. New buyers can get up to [$2,500] off the purchase of a new electric vehicle and may also qualify for federal EV incentives. Also, check out our picks for the best deals on EVs.
Are there additional fees for purchasing an electric vehicle in Delaware?
No, there are not additional fees to pay when you purchase an EV in the state of Delaware.
Does sales tax apply when I buy an EV in Delaware?
Sales tax is applied to electric vehicle purchases in Delaware at the same rate as traditional combustion vehicles. Visit our resource page to find the vehicle sales tax in Delaware.