New Jersey 2023 EV Tax Credits Guide [+ Calculate Your Savings]
Steve Birkett is an electric vehicle advocate based in Greater Boston, Massachusetts. He is a content creator and marketing professional who contributes written and recorded pieces to a wide range of media outlets. His analysis has been featured in Find The Best Car Price, WWLP TV, and Torque News, among others. He has also had video content featured on Inside EVs. Birkett was an EV Guide for Plug in America events in Massachusetts (Drive Electric Cambridge and Drive Electric Lowell) and Ohio (Earth Day 2019 at Cleveland Zoo). He participates in quarterly advisory panel meetings for EVolve New York (a state-level charging initiative) and has contributed to focus groups for prominent U.S. charging networks.
Birkett is a father-of-two who loves nothing more than packing up the family and hitting the road in their latest electric car, which is currently a 2022 Hyundai IONIQ 5. With multiple Chevy Bolts in his past, as well as a Chevy Volt and Tesla Model 3 LR in the extended family, plus various EV rentals when he ventures back home to his native United Kingdom, Birkett has more than 100,000 all-electric miles under his belt and is always ready to try out a new electric vehicle.
For press inquiries, contact [email protected]
There’s no denying that electric vehicles (EVs) are expensive, but there are federal and state incentives like rebates and tax credits to make EVs more financially appealing.
But what state EV incentive programs are in place in New Jersey?
Let’s see what current incentives are available in your area and whether or not you qualify for them.
Last Updated: August 2023
Table of Contents
New Jersey EV Savings Calculator
What EV Incentives Are Available in New Jersey?
New Jersey has some of the best incentives in the country for EV buyers. Here's a quick overview of the programs in place for electric vehicles and associated purchases for charging:
- The Charge Up New Jersey program provides up to $4,000 for purchasing or leasing a new EV with a sales price lower than $45,000.
- Charge Up NJ offers up to $1,500 for buyers who choose an EV with a sales price between $45,000 and $55,000.
- Charge Up NJ also provides up to $250 in assistance to install a home charge station, which can be stacked with utility incentives for home charging.
- Zero Emissions Vehicles (ZEVs) sold, rented, or leased in New Jersey are exempt from state sales and use tax.
Incentives for Purchasing an EV in New Jersey
Buying or leasing an electric vehicle in New Jersey can be an exercise in incentive stacking, thanks to the various initiatives in place to cut the cost of an EV's sticker price.
The first EV incentive that buyers in New Jersey should investigate is called Charge Up NJ. With funding renewed for another year, this program helps make EVs more affordable by taking thousands of dollars off the sticker price as the dealership processes the incentive at the point of sale.
On paper, the incentive provides $25 for each mile of EPA estimated range. In practice, almost every modern EV qualifies for the full incentive becuase they have 200+ miles of EPA range.
The Charge Up discounts have certain caps and eligibility criteria. These include:
- Up to $4,000 off if the EV purchased or leased is priced below $45,000
- Up to $1,500 off if the EV purchased or leased is priced between $45,000 and $55,000
- Vehicle must be fully-electric and purchased after July 13th, 2023. Hybrids and plug-in hybrids do not qualify.
- Vehicle must be new. Pre-owned electric vehicles are not eligible for the Charge Up incentive.
- Vehicle must be purchased through an eligible dealership (Tesla locations in NJ are included).
New Jersey also offers a tax exemption on purchasing a new electric vehicle. To qualify, EV buyers must meet the following purchase criteria:
- ZEVs must be certified pursuant to the California Air Resources Board zero emission standards for the model year.
- ZEV must be sold, rented, or leased in New Jersey.
- Does not include hybrids or plug-in hybrids.
Additional incentives may be available to low-income applicants. Visit this state information site to see if you meet the requirements.
Other EV Incentives Offered in New Jersey
New Jersey offers the following incentives for electric vehicle charging, maintenance, or related benefits:
- New Jersey Charge Up NJ EV Charger Incentive - Charge Up New Jersey is offering a $250 incentive towards new, qualified EV charging infrastructure. Conditions may apply.
- New Jersey ClearCharge 12EV plan - EV drivers who have purchased a ChargePoint home EV charging unit, sign up for Clearview Energy’s ClearChargeEV plans and get: Free nightly EV charging from 11:00 PM to 6:00 AM every day of the week; $50 cash back on your ChargePoint Home EV Charger purchase; 100% nationally sourced renewable energy.
- Jersey Central Power & Light EV Driven Program - Charger Incentive- JCP&L residential customers can get an incentive of up to $1,500 for the cost of customer make-ready work needed to install a qualified Level 2 EV charger and up to $5,500 for utility service upgrades if needed. Conditions may apply.
- Jersey Central Power & Light EV Driven Program - Off-Peak Rate Credit - JCP&L residential customers who sign up for the program will receive a $0.02/kWh net off-peak charging credit on their bill for the kWhs they use to charge their EV during off-peak hours. Conditions may apply.
- New Jersey Plug-In Electric Vehicle Toll Discount Program - Enrolled E-ZPass customers who are part of Green Pass Discount Plan will receive a discount on the full fare off-peak toll on the New Jersey Turnpike and Garden State Parkway. Vehicles that obtain at least 45 miles per gallon and meet the California Super Ultra Low Emission Vehicle (SULEV) standard are eligible for the discount.
- New Jersey High Occupancy Vehicle (HOV) Lane Exemption - New Jersey Turnpike Authority allows qualified plug-in electric vehicles to travel in the HOV lanes located between Interchange 11 and Interchange 14 on the New Jersey Turnpike.
- New Jersey PEV Toll Discount Program - The Port Authority Green Discount Plan (PA GREEN) is available to eligible Class 1 vehicles with E-ZPass accounts at E-ZPass New York. Enrollment is required. The Port Authority Green Pass Discount Plan toll rate is $13.75 per peak trip and $8.25 per off-peak trip.
Now that you know what electric vehicle incentives are available in New Jersey, what else do you need to know about switching to all-electric transportation?
Read our guidance on how to prepare for an EV to make sure the models you’re considering will meet your real-world driving needs!
Frequently Asked Questions
Are there incentives for purchasing an electric vehicle in New Jersey?
Yes, there are generous state-level incentives in place when you purchase an EV in the state of New Jersey. The state offers up to $4,000 immediately off the sticker price of qualifying electric vehicles under $45,000, or up to $1,500 off models priced between $45,000 to $55,000. Check out our picks for the best deals on EVs.
Are there additional fees for purchasing an electric vehicle in New Jersey?
No, there are not additional fees to pay when you purchase an EV in the state of New Jersey.
Does sales tax apply when I buy an EV in New Jersey?
Sales tax is not applied to electric vehicle purchases in New Jersey. Visit our resource page to find the vehicle sales tax in New Jersey for non-electric vehicles.