Maryland 2024 EV Tax Credits Guide [+ Calculate Your Savings]
Steve Birkett is an electric vehicle advocate based in Greater Boston, Massachusetts. He is a content creator and marketing professional who contributes written and recorded pieces to a wide range of media outlets. His analysis has been featured in Find The Best Car Price, WWLP TV, and Torque News, among others. He has also had video content featured on Inside EVs. Birkett was an EV Guide for Plug in America events in Massachusetts (Drive Electric Cambridge and Drive Electric Lowell) and Ohio (Earth Day 2019 at Cleveland Zoo). He participates in quarterly advisory panel meetings for EVolve New York (a state-level charging initiative) and has contributed to focus groups for prominent U.S. charging networks.
Birkett is a father-of-two who loves nothing more than packing up the family and hitting the road in their latest electric car, which is currently a 2022 Hyundai IONIQ 5. With multiple Chevy Bolts in his past, as well as a Chevy Volt and Tesla Model 3 LR in the extended family, plus various EV rentals when he ventures back home to his native United Kingdom, Birkett has more than 100,000 all-electric miles under his belt and is always ready to try out a new electric vehicle.
For press inquiries, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
There’s no denying that electric vehicles (EVs) cost a lot upfront. Thankfully, there are federal and state incentives like rebates and tax credits to make EVs more financially appealing.
But what state EV incentive programs are in place in Maryland?
Let’s see what current incentives are available in your area and whether or not you qualify for them.
Last Updated: January 2024
Table of Contents
Maryland EV Savings Calculator
Use the calculator below to see which models qualify for the federal EV tax credit and for any state-specific incentives that can help you save even more.
What EV Incentives Are Available in Maryland?
Maryland has the following incentives in place for electric vehicles and associated purchases for charging:
- $3,000 tax credit
Let’s take a look at each of these in more detail.
Incentives for Purchasing an EV in Maryland
Maryland offers a tax credit for up to $3,000 off the purchase of a new electric vehicle.
To qualify, EV buyers must meet the following purchase criteria:
- The vehicle must be made by a manufacturer primarily for use on public streets, roads, and highways.
- The vehicle cannot be modified from the manufacturer's specifications.
- The vehicle must be a new vehicle and titled for the first time on or after July 1, 2023, but before July 1, 2027.
- The vehicle must be acquired for use or lease by the taxpayer, and not for resale.
- The vehicle has a battery capacity of at least 5 kilowatt-hours, or if a motorcycle or auto cycle, has a battery capacity of at least 4.0 kilowatt-hours (applies only to plug-in electric)
- The vehicle has a base purchase price not exceeding $50,000.
Additional incentives may be available to low-income applicants. Visit this state information site to see if you meet the requirements.
Other EV Incentives Offered in Maryland
Maryland offers the following post-purchase incentives for electric vehicle owners:
- Maryland Energy Administration (MEA) provides a rebate of up to $700 to qualifying individuals for the costs of buying/installing an EV charging station.
- Maryland ClearCharge 12EV plan - EV drivers who have purchased a ChargePoint home EV charging unit, sign up for Clearview Energy’s ClearChargeEV plans and get: Free nightly EV charging from 11:00 PM to 6:00 AM every day of the week; $50 cash back on your ChargePoint Home EV Charger purchase; 100% nationally sourced renewable energy.
- Baltimore Gas & Electric Co EVsmart Program - The EVsmart Program offers Baltimore Gas & Electric (BGE) customers who own a qualifying EV an annual rebate of $50 for the purchase and installation of an eligible Level 2 charger.
Now that you know what electric vehicle incentives are available in Maryland, what else do you need to know about making the switch to all-electric transportation?
Read our guidance on how to prepare for an EV to make sure the models you’re considering will meet your real-world driving needs!
Frequently Asked Questions
Are there incentives for purchasing an electric vehicle in Maryland?
Yes, there are state-level incentives in place when you purchase an EV in the state of Maryland. New buyers can get up to $3,000 tax credit off the purchase of a new electric vehicle and may also qualify for federal EV incentives. Also, check out our picks for the best deals on EVs.
Are there additional fees for purchasing an electric vehicle in Maryland?
No, there are no additional fees to pay when you purchase an EV in the state of Maryland.
Does sales tax apply when I buy an EV in Maryland?
Sales tax is applied to electric vehicle purchases in Maryland at the same rate as traditional combustion vehicles. Visit our resource page to find the vehicle sales tax in Maryland.