Best Car Shipping Companies [Review & Comparison]
Fortunately, there are many car shipping companies out there. However, choosing the best one is not easy.
Read on for our full review and comparison of Montway Auto Transport, AmeriFreight, Sherpa Auto Transport, uShip, and Easy Auto Ship.
Table of Contents
- Car Shipping Companies Comparison
- What is Montway Auto Transport?
- How to Ship a Car Through Montway Auto Transport
- Montway Auto Transport Customer Reviews (Good & Bad)
- What is AmeriFreight?
- Where is AmeriFreight Available?
- How to Ship a Car Through AmeriFreight
- AmeriFreight Customer Reviews (Good & Bad)
- What is Sherpa Auto Transport?
- How to Ship a Car Through Sherpa Auto Transport
- Sherpa Auto Transport Customer Reviews (Good & Bad)
- What is uShip?
- How to Ship a Car Through uShip
- uShip Customer Reviews (Good & Bad)
- What is Easy Auto Ship?
- How to Ship a Car Through Easy Auto Ship
- Easy Auto Ship Customer Reviews (Good & Bad)
- Price Comparison
- Availability Comparison
- Services Comparison
- Insurance & Coverage Comparison
- Customer Experience Comparison
- What's the Best Car Shipping Company?
- If you're looking for the best overall...
- If you're looking for the best prices...
- If you're looking for the best customer experience...
- Best Car Deals by Category
- Frequently Asked Questions
Car Shipping Companies Comparison
|Montway Auto Transport|
(Best Overall Pick)
|Sherpa Auto Transport|
(Best Customer Experience)
|uShip||Easy Auto Ship|
|Price||$995 for 1,500 miles||$745 for 1,500 miles||$1,300 for 1,500 miles||$1,255.60 for 1,500 miles||$1,117 for 1,500 miles|
|Availability||All of U.S. (Hawaii & Alaska)||All of U.S. (Hawaii & Alaska)||Contiental U.S.||All of U.S. (Hawaii & Alaska)||All of U.S. (Hawaii & Alaska)|
|Services||Open & enclosed, 100lbs of personal items||Open & enclosed, motorcycle/ATV shipping||Open & enclosed||Open & enclosed, transport wide range of vehicles||Open & enclosed, transport wide range of vehicles|
|Insurance||Carrier provides insurance||Carrier provides insurance, offers GAP insurance||Provide coverage up to $100,000||Does not provide insurance||Provide coverage up to $100,000|
|Customer Experience||High (4.5/5)||Very High (4.7/5)||Extrememly High (4.9/5)||High (4.5/5)||High (4.6/5)|
What is Montway Auto Transport?
Montway Auto Transport is a shipping broker that works with 15,000 carriers across the country. It was founded in 2006 and headquartered in Illinois.
Where is Montway Auto Transport Available?
Montway Auto Transport is available across the entire United States. Their service locations do include Hawaii and Alaska.
Is Montway Auto Transport Legit?
Yes, they are a legit auto shipping company. In 2020, Montway Auto Transport moved over 140,000 vehicles across the United States. They have a strong A+ rating from the BBB.
How to Ship a Car Through Montway Auto Transport
Use their online quote tool to receive your shipping quote. In the tool, you should enter the pickup and delivery locations, transport preference, vehicle details, dates, and urgency.
Then, shippers bid on the job. You’ll be matched with the best offer. You can then schedule the pickup date and location. When the driver picks up the vehicle, you both inspect it and sign a bill of lading. Upon delivery, you inspect it again to confirm no damages.
How Long Does It Take?
You can select the urgency of the transport. When shipping your car, you can choose:
- As soon as possible
- Within two weeks
- Within 30 days
- More than 30 days
When you receive the best offer, it will tell you the delivery time estimate. However, delays are quite common. You should be prepared to wait a few days after the time estimate.
Most times, shipping can take up to three weeks from the time you receive the quote. Between the time you receive the quote and get the car, Montway secures the carrier, the carrier picks up the car, and then it transmits the vehicle.
What Services Does Montway Auto Transport Offer?
Montway Auto Services offers car shipping services throughout the entire U.S. They offer enclosed and open shipping options. They also provide live chat customer service to check on the location of the vehicle at any time.
They also provide add-on services like:
- Door-to-door delivery
- Expedited shipping options with guaranteed pickup dates
- 100lbs of personal items included in the trunk
The shipping carrier you choose provides insurance. The cost of insurance is included in your quote. If the carrier’s insurance fails to cover the claim, Montway will provide contingent insurance up to $250,000.
How Much Does Montway Auto Transport Cost?
The cost of shipping through Montway Auto Transport is about:
- $1.96 per mile for under 500 miles
- $0.93 per mile for distances 500-1,000 miles
- $0.58 per mile for distances over 1,500 miles
Overall, the average price is about $995 for 1,500-mile open transport.
However, prices vary based on a number of key factors. Considerations for shipping cost include open or enclosed shipping, vehicle size, vehicle operability, urban vs. rural location, and season (the beginning of the year and summer months are most expensive).
Montway Auto Transport Pros
- Good customer service and communication (live chat feature)
- They compare over 15,000 carriers
- Offers competitive prices
- They have a positive customer reputation
- Provide discounts for military customers and returning customers
Montway Auto Transport Cons
- No guaranteed pricing
- Cancellation fee ($199)
Montway Auto Transport Customer Reviews (Good & Bad)
Overall, customer reviews for Montway Auto Transport Customer Reviews are positive. Out of over 1,800 reviews, Montway has 4.5 out of 5 stars. However, other brokers do have high ratings above 4.5 starts as well.
Many positive reviews talk about great communication and timely delivery. They like how communicative the company is and how willing they are to help customers. Many customers appreciate how quickly they can provide a quote and scheduled delivery.
Of course, not all reviews are positive. The negative reviews tend to be from customers who did not experience timely delivery. Contrary to the positive reviews, unhappy customers complain they had to pay more than they were quoted. Customers are also unhappy about the cancellation fee.
What is AmeriFreight?
AmeriFrieght is one of the largest car shipping companies in the United States. They are a large car shipping broker that vets its carriers. They were founded in 2004, and headquartered in Peachtree City, Georgia.
Where is AmeriFreight Available?
AmeriFreight is available throughout the entire U.S., including Hawaii and Alaska.
Is AmeriFreight Legit?
AmeriFreight is a legit company. They are accredited by the BBB and have a great A+ rating.
How to Ship a Car Through AmeriFreight
You start by requesting a quote for your shipment. Then, you receive an AmeriFreight representative. They will explain your options and give you the quote. Upon finding a shipping carrier, AmeriFreight provides the final rate to accept or reject.
After you accept a rate, then AmeriFrieght coordinates the shipment. The carrier picks up the vehicle and can deliver it to a terminal or home. Upon delivery, you inspect the vehicle and sign the bill of lading. You pay the bill after signing the bill of lading.
How Long Does It Take?
How long your shipment will take depends on the level of priority you choose. Economy service will take up to seven days, priority up to four, and first-class should be within two.
What Services Does AmeriFreight Offer?
Shipping services they offer include:
- Motorcycle and ATV shipping
- Door-to-door shipping
- Enclosed or open shipping
- Expedited transport for an additional fee based on vehicle size
All of the carriers they work with are fully insured. Costumers can also purchase GAP coverage with the AmeriFrieght Total Insurance plan. This covers up to $2,000 if the carrier’s insurance does not cover the full cost. You can report damages for up to 48 hours after vehicle delivery.
How Much Does AmeriFreight Cost?
The cost of shipping through AmeriFreight fluctuates between $0.50 per mile and $3 per mile. For example, shipping a sedan can cost anywhere from a few hundred dollars to $1,200, which is a pretty large range.
Shipping costs vary based on open or enclosed, vehicle operability, vehicle size, driving route, time of year, and the priority selected.
One example is shipping an operable vehicle from Houston to LA. For economy service, this would cost $745, for priority (1-4 days) $1,200, and for first-class (1-2 days) $1,475.
Ultimately, their prices are within range for the market. Their economy service prices are hard to beat, but many customers stated few economy options are available.
They also offer discounts. Each order can claim one (except the early bird offer can be combined with one other discount) of the following:
- $25 off for students, senior citizens, or when signing up 48 hours or less after receiving a quote
- $35 off for medical employees, first responders, or military
- $50 off for return customers or every additional vehicle
- Impressive A+ rating and accreditation from the BBB
- Offers many discounts
- Vets all carrier partners in detail
- It is highly rated by customers for its service
- Slow online quote process
- The final and initial quotes may differ
- Quotes by phone
- Cannot track the shipment in real-time
AmeriFreight Customer Reviews (Good & Bad)
Customer reviews are impressively positive for AmeriFreight. They earned 4.9 out of 5 stars from over 1,000 reviews. They’ve only faced ten complaints on the BBB in the past three years. Via Google reviews, they have a strong 4.7 stars.
Positive reviews talk about the great shipping rates and fair charges. Many customers also speak highly of the quality drivers they were matched with. They enjoyed the easy process from start to finish.
While the vast majority of reviews are stellar, there are certainly some negative ones. Complaints tend to be about the price increase between initial and final quotes. A few customers have also had negative experiences with the carrier they were matched with.
What is Sherpa Auto Transport?
Sherpa Auto Transport is a newer company, as they were started in 2017. Their headquarters is in Charlotte, North Carolina.
Where is Sherpa Auto Transport Available?
Sherpa Auto Transport is available throughout the continental U.S.
Is Sherpa Auto Transport Legit?
Yes, Sherpa Auto Transport is a legitimate company. They have BBB accreditation and an A+ rating from the BBB.
How to Ship a Car Through Sherpa Auto Transport
Here are the steps to shipping a car through Sherpa:
- Request a quote online or call. They will contact you with a quote.
- Book your order and make the down payment. The initial payment is typically around $300.
- Clean out the car and leave one-quarter of a tank of gas.
- Sherpa tells you when the driver will arrive (within a two to four-hour window).
- Inspect the vehicle for existing damage with the driver.
- The driver loads the vehicle.
- Receive updates along the way, and you will get a delivery window.
- Inspect the vehicle at delivery and sign the bill of lading. Pay the remaining balance with cash or a certified check.
How Long Does It Take?
Shipping may take anywhere from one to two days o up to a few weeks. Shipping time varies depending on a myriad of factors. Sherpa provides a time estimate with your quote. Overall, customers are pleased with the speed of the process.
What Services Does Sherpa Auto Transport Offer?
The services that Sherpa Auto Transport offers include:
- Door-to-door shipping
- Open shipping
- Expedited transport in some areas
- Inoperable vehicles for an added cost
They only work with carriers who are registered by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration. All carriers must have a quality U.S. Department of Transportation safety rating and insurance coverage that covers up to $100,000 per shipment and commercial liability insurance.
How Much Does Sherpa Auto Transport Cost?
The price of Sherpa Auto Transport tends to be slightly higher than competitors. However, they do guarantee prices. This means you don’t have to worry about paying more than you expected.
For example, shipping an SUV around 1,500 miles in an open trailer costs about $1,300. The same transport in an enclosed trailer is $1,800.
The prices are on the high end, but they’re still reasonable, especially considering that their quote includes all fees.
Much like other companies, the cost varies depending on the size and weight of the car, vehicle operability, open or enclosed, time of year, distance, and how far out you book.
Sherpa Auto Transport Pros
- Guarantees your quoted price with the Price Lock Promise
- Access to real-time updates 24/7
- Connects you with a highly-vetted network of carriers
- Simple booking process
- Fast price matching
- Highly rated by customers and the BBB
- Includes a free car wash with every transport
Sherpa Auto Transport Cons
- Cannot ship terminal to terminal
- Prices tend to be slightly higher than other companies
- Does not provide instant online quotes
Sherpa Auto Transport Customer Reviews (Good & Bad)
They have stellar customer reviews, with only six complaints through the BBB over the last three years. Out of over 200 reviews, they have 4.9 out of 5 stars.
Positive reviews tend to talk about the easy pickup and delivery process. Customers also appreciate the fast customer service and quick process.
Still, there are a few negative reviews. Customers with complaints tend to be about rude drivers. However, Sherpa does make a clear effort to address customer concerns. Overall, they have a very strong reputation.
What is uShip?
uShip is a shipping broker for not only vehicles but much more. In addition to auto transport, they offer the transport of animals, household items, RVs, boats, and more. They were founded in 2003 and have headquarters in Austin, TX.
Where is uShip Available?
uShip is available in all 50 states and also overseas.
Is uShip Legit?
Yes, uShip is a legit company. They have BBB accreditation and an A+ rating on the site.
How to Ship a Car Through uShip
uShip works a bit differently than some others on the list. You can post an offer for a shipping job or browse rates. When you enter the information for your shipping date and location, you can view multiple offers. If you post your job to the marketplace, then shippers bid on it. Upon choosing the shipper, you will coordinate the details with them.
How Long Does It Take?
The time it takes to ship with uShip depends on the distance. They estimate it will take 4-6 business days to ship a vehicle between 1,000 and 1,500 miles.
What Services Does uShip Offer?
uShip offers a wide range of shipping services. You can transport any vehicle. They also offer:
- Enclosed and open shipping
- Door-to-door delivery
- Expedited shipping
Additionally, they do not provide or guarantee insurance. You can pay extra for it if you wish.
How Much Does uShip Cost?
uShip prices tend to be above the industry average. To ship a vehicle 1,500 miles costs $1,255.60. Of course, the rates vary based on vehicle size, condition, open or enclosed transport, location, and season.
Note that they also charge a fee between $25 and $150 for using tier marketplace.
For all contracts over $5,000, you must pay a deposit. When shipments cost less than $5,000, you must pay in full beforehand, and uShip holds the money in escrow until the vehicle is delivered.
uShip Transport Pros
- Strong reputation in the industry
- Allows you to compare many offers
- Very competitive pricing
uShip Transport Cons
- No verification of shippers’ insurance coverage
- Struggles to resolve issues with drivers
- Does not provide a price guarantee
- Mixed customer opinions
uShip Customer Reviews (Good & Bad)
Out of over 10,000 uShip reviews, they have a 4.5-star rating on Trustpilot. They also have an A+ rating on BBB and under 50 complaints in the last three years. Still, compared to some other options, they have mixed reviews.
Positive reviews tout the easy process and great prices. A lot of customers enjoy the shipping company they are matched with.
However, there are a handful of negative reviews. These reviews tend to talk about how the price differed from the quoted amount. They also complained about customer service, and how it lacked when dealing with issues with drivers.
What is Easy Auto Ship?
Easy Auto Ship was founded in 2013 and is headquartered in Youngstown, Ohio. They are an auto shipping broker who’s sent over 123,000 vehicles.
Where is Easy Auto Ship Available?
Easy Auto Ship is available in several places around the world. They service the entire U.S. (Alaska and Hawaii included) as well as international locations.
Is Easy Auto Ship Legit?
Yes, Easy Auto Ship is a legitimate company. They have an impressive A+ rating from the Better Business Burea.
How to Ship a Car Through Easy Auto Ship
The process to ship through Easy Auto Ship is simple:
- Set drop-off and pickup dates for shipment.
- Receive a quote, which included guaranteed pricing and no hidden fees.
- You can cancel the order for a full refund if a driver has not yet been scheduled. If a driver claimed the order, you must pay a $195 service fee to cancel the order.
- There’s no 24/7 tracking or service. You must contact the service team during their hours to inquire about the progress of your shipment.
- On the pickup date, examine the vehicle for damage.
- Upon receiving the vehicle, examine for damage. You have 24 hours after delivery to place a claim.
How Long Does It Take?
The time it takes depends on the distance, weather, and more. In general, Easy Auto Ship states that you must wait for 3 to 5 business days for the vehicle to be picked up. Then, transit often takes between 4 and 10 days.
What Services Does Easy Auto Ship Offer?
Easy Auto Ship transports vehicles around the entire U.S. as well as internationally. They can transport a wide array of vehicles including trucks, motorcycles, cars, boats, RVs, golf carts, heavy equipment, and farm vehicles.
Customers also report high satisfaction with the insurance. Easy Auto Ship and its carriers provide at least $100,000 in insurance to cover repairs for damage during transport.
How Much Does Easy Auto Ship Cost?
The cost per mile depends on the distance. Easy Auto Ship lists its prices as:
- $1 per mile for 0-500 miles
- $0.75 per mile for 500-1,000 miles
- $0.60 per mile for 1,000-2,000 miles
- $0.50 per mile for 2,000-2,500 miles
- $0.40 per mile for 2,500+ miles
The cost to ship a vehicle in an open trailer from LA to Houston (1,548 miles) is about $1,117.
As always, there are several factors that will impact the cost including open or enclosed transport, vehicle size, type, and condition, time of year, fuel prices, and distance.
Compared to most auto transport brokers, Easy Auto Ship offers fairly low prices. They also have discounts for veterans and military members, as well as for booking over the phone or paying in cash.
Easy Auto Ship Pros
- Relatively inexpensive
- Services many locations
- Easy booking process
- Offers guaranteed pricing
- International shipping options
Easy Auto Ship Cons
- Does not provide 24/7 customer service
- Does not allow you to track shipments
Easy Auto Ship Customer Reviews (Good & Bad)
Overall, Easy Auto Ship has a strong customer reputation. On the BBB website, they have 4.6 out of 5 stars and over 700 reviews.
Happy customer reviews report great prices, quality service, and timely deliveries. Many customers find the process to be easy and convenient. They applaud the speed and quality of delivery as well as the affordable cost.
Yet, some customers still report negative experiences. Some complain that the company does not follow through with guaranteed pricing. Others complain about the lack of customer service.
Prices for all brokers are within a normal range for the industry. AmeriFreight offers a nearly unbeatable price for economy services, but the economy service availability tends to be very limited. Sherpa and uShip are on the higher end of the price spectrum.
- Montway Auto Transport: $995 for 1,500-mile open transport.
- AmeriFreight: Varies based on priority. $745 for roughly 1,500 transport at the slowest economy class.
- Sherpa: Slightly on the higher end. They quoted $1,300 for a 1,500-mile open transport.
- uShip: On the expensive side. Transporting a vehicle 1,500 miles costs about $1,255.60 (not including the extra fee and cost of insurance).
- Easy Auto Ship: $1,117 for a 1,500-mile open transport.
All of the shipping services are available throughout the U.S. However, Sherpa is not available in Alaska or Hawaii. uShip and Easy Auto Ship also offer some international delivery.
- Montway Auto Transport: All of the U.S., including Hawaii and Alaska.
- AmeriFreight: All of the U.S., including Hawaii and Alaska.
- Sherpa Auto Transport: Throughout the continental U.S.
- uShip: Available in the U.S. including Hawaii and Alaska. Also available in some places overseas.
- Easy Auto Ship: The U.S. including Hawaii and Alaska as well as some international locations.
Most of the shipping brokers offer similar services. However, Montway only has door-to-door shipping as an add-on, and they include 100lbs of personal items. AmeriFreight and Sherpa offer expedited shipping for an additional fee.
- Montway Auto Transport: Open and enclosed vehicle shipping throughout all of the US. They also have add-on services for faster shipping, door-to-door delivery, and including 100lbs of personal items in the shipment.
- AmeriFreight: Door-to-door shipping, terminal-to-terminal shipping, open or enclosed shipping, motorcycle and ATV shipping, expedited delivery for a fee.
- Sherpa Auto Transport: Door-to-door shipping, expedited shipping in some areas for a fee, enclosed or open shipping.
- uShip: Transport any type of vehicle, open and enclosed shipping, door-to-door shipping, expedited shipping.
- Easy Auto Ship: Transport of a wide range of vehicle types, open and enclosed options, door-to-door delivery, terminal-to-terminal delivery.
Insurance & Coverage Comparison
Most of the brokers only work with carriers who provide insurance. Easy Auto Ship and their carriers provide at least $100,000 of insurance. Montway also has $250,000 of contingent insurance on top of their carriers’ insurance. AmeriFreight allows you to purchase GAP insurance for an added fee. All Sherpa carriers provide insurance coverage of at least $100,000. Many uShip carriers have insurance, but they do not require it.
- Montway Auto Transport: Insurance is provided by the carrier, but Montway does include up to $250,000 of contingent insurance.
- AmeriFreight: Carrier provides insurance. AmeriFreight offers GAP insurance for an additional fee.
- Sherpa Auto Insurance: All of their registered carriers provide insurance coverage of $100,000 per shipment and commercial liability insurance.
- uShip: They do not provide insurance and they do not ensure all carriers do. Still, many carriers offer insurance. You can also purchase it for an added cost.
- Easy Auto Ship: Easy Auto Ship and its carriers provide at least $100,000 in insurance for every transport.
Customer Experience Comparison
Customer experience is relatively positive for all of the shipping brokers above. Sherpa Auto Transport slightly edges out the competition for customer experience, but it’s worth noting that they are a relatively new company. uShip is on the other end of the spectrum. While they still have a strong customer rating, they seemed to have the most mixed reviews.
- Montway Auto Transport: Fairly high, 4.5 out of 5 stars.
- AmeriFreight: Very high, 4.7-4.9 stars (depending on which review source you use)
- Sherpa Auto Transport: Overwhelmingly positive, with 4.9 stars.
- uShip: They have a good customer satisfaction rating, with 4.5 out of 5 stars on Trustpilot.
- Easy Auto Ship: 4.6 out of 5 stars and over 700 reviews on the BBB.
What's the Best Car Shipping Company?
If you're looking for the best overall...
Montway Auto Transport is our pick for best overall. They offer competitive pricing, ease of use, a number of add ons, and a good customer experience. They are a well-rounded option that hits all of the marks.
If you're looking for the best prices...
AmeriFreight offers the best prices for their economy shipping service. The prices quoted for economy delivery are nearly unmatched and are below the market average.
If you're looking for the best customer experience...
Our pick for the best customer experience is Sherpa Auto Transport. Despite being a newer company, they have an extremely impressive customer satisfaction rating. They have 4.9 out of 5 stars and overwhelmingly positive reviews.
Frequently Asked Questions
How much is shipping for a car?
The cost of shipping a vehicle varies based on the distance, vehicle type, encasement, and more. The company you choose also makes a difference. Across the market, the average cost to open ship a vehicle 1,500 miles is $1,145. To get the best price, you should compare quotes from several shipping services.
What is the best car shipping company?
Our pick for the best car shipping company is Montway Auto Transport. However, all of the options above are extremely competitive and very good options to consider when shipping a vehicle.
Do I need insurance to ship a car?
Many times, the shipping carrier and broker provide insurance. You should always clarify the insurance coverage provided when shipping. It’s in your best interest to purchase insurance if the shipping company does not provide full coverage.
Can I put personal items in the car I ship?
Some shipping carriers allow you to put in personal items while others do not. For example, Montway allows you to transport up to 100lbs of personal items in the trunk. On the other hand, Sherpa Auto Transport requires that you remove all personal items when shipping the car.
How do I prepare for shipping my car?
Before shipping the car, have all of the documents in order. Clean out the vehicle and remove personal items. Complete any necessary car maintenance and follow the carrier’s instructions for gas in the tank. Make sure to carefully note the condition of the car and any existing damage.
How long does it take to ship a car across the country?
The average time it takes to ship a car across the United States is 7 to 10 days. The actual time varies based on the carrier, trip details/route, the weather, and more.