My Honest Review of Your Auto Advocate (Car Buying Service)
You won’t have to talk to a car salesman when using a car buying service like Your Auto Advocate. It’s convenient, less stressful, and will keep you from getting ripped off.
But is it worth the money?
In this review I’ll share my personal experience and rating of Your Auto Advocate.
Table of Contents
- Your Auto Advocate Overview
- Is Your Auto Advocate legit?
- Your Auto Advocate Review
- Is Your Auto Advocate Worth the Money?
- Alternatives to Your Auto Advocate
- Frequently Asked Questions
Disclosure: I sometimes receive compensation from referrals to companies I mention, but that does not impact my opinions and helps keep this website going. And I only recommend providers that will genuinely benefit my readers.
Your Auto Advocate Overview
What is Your Auto Advocate?
They are independent car sales consultants that will find and negotiate a car deal on your behalf. Similar to real estate agents. They will shop around to get you the best price and eliminate the hassle of negotiating with car dealerships.
Are They Car Brokers?
They are not car brokers, they are a car buying concierge service. Let’s look at the key differences between Your Auto Advocate and a car broker.
|Your Auto Advocate||Car Broker|
|Receive compensation from the car dealer?||No||Yes|
|Available nationwide?||Yes||No, regional|
|Negotiates trade in?||Yes||No|
|Works for lease, finance, or cash buyers?||Yes||No, lease|
|Research and source vehicles on your behalf?||Yes||Maybe?|
How does Your Auto Advocate work?
- Visit Your Auto Advocate and schedule a free consultation.
- They will ask you what type of car you want, ask about your trade-in, and whether you want to purchase or lease.
- You sign-up and pay a fixed fee (half due upfront with a 100% satisfaction moneyback guarantee)
- They go to work and locate 3 to 5 cars that meet your requirements and present to you for approval.
- They negotiate the best possible deal and review the best offers with you so you can make a decision.
- They shop around your trade-in and help you get the best financing.
- They will organize purchasing documents and coordinate home delivery or an appointment to finalize your purchase at the dealership.
- You sign for your new car.
The service includes:
- Consultation call with their team (they will not try to sell you a car)
- Exhaustive search for your vehicle
- Negotiation with multiple dealers on your behalf
- Negotiation of a trade-in you may have
- Presentation of dealer offers and expert guidance
- Negotiation of preferred lease or finance terms
- Advice on lease or financing options
Is Your Auto Advocate legit?
Yes, Your Auto Advocate was founded by Zach Shefska and his father Ray (a veteran of the auto industry with 42 years of dealership experience).
They run a popular YouTube channel, have a 5 star rating on Yelp (at the time of this review), and help out car buyers nationwide.
Your Auto Advocate Review
Pros: Here’s what I like about Your Auto Advocate
- They negotiate both new and used cars, purchases and leases.
- Unlike many many car brokers, they will shop your trade-in around and handle financing or leasing negotiations.
- They charge a fixed fee and don’t take a cut from dealerships. Many auto brokers get pre-negotiated terms and kickbacks from car dealers and will not work to get you the best possible deal across all dealers.
- You only pay half up front and can get a 100% refund if you are not fully satisfied.
- They do all the work and you skip the hassle of dealing with salesmen.
Cons: Here are the only things I don’t like about Your Auto Advocate
- There is a fee for the service which you could avoid if you negotiated a car yourself.
- They won’t help you decide on a car so you need to know what you want in advance. (Well, that’s technically true, but if you are on the fence between a couple models they will probably help you decide).
- You still have to interact with the dealership at the end of the process to close the deal. Alas, this is unavoidable, but all details of the sale (car price, trade-in, and financing) will be settled and the dealer will receive a packet of your information. But you still need to sign, pay for, and receive your car.
Is Your Auto Advocate Worth the Money?
Car buying is likely an occasional event for you. But these guys do it every day and have decades of car buying experience. If you don’t want the hassle, you could benefit by letting them do the hard work.
I’ve talked to the Your Auto Advocate guys many times and been allowed to interview some of their customers who were absolutely beaming with good things to say about Zach, Ray, and their team.
So yes, they are worth it and the cost of their fee is small in comparison to the savings they will get you.
Alternatives to Your Auto Advocate
There are many other alternative car brokers and buying services out there. I’ve tested out several and was not satisfied with the results (so I will not name any names).
I’m impressed with Your Auto Advocate and can recommend them without any qualms. But since I’m a do it yourself kinda guy, I would be remiss If I didn’t mention that you could negotiate a car yourself over email and save yourself the fee. But, you need to be prepared to put in the work and play hardball with dealers. It’s not for everybody and their service really does pay for itself.
Frequently Asked Questions
No. Their only compensation comes from you.
Your Auto Advocate can help you anywhere in the United States.
For most customers it’s between 3 and 7 days.
Yes, they will negotiate leasing terms.
Yes, they will negotiate for your trade-in.
You buy the car directly from a registered car dealer. Your Auto Advocate just pre-negotiates and arranges the deal for you.
Since COVID-19, most dealerships will allow you to have a car delivered. If you want home delivery, Your Auto Advocate will work with the dealership to arrange this, but ultimately it is up to the dealer whether they want to offer that service.
Yes, there is 100% refund guarantee if you are not satisfied.