Tag Archives: car buying checklist
- Valid driver’s license
- Proof of insurance
- Checkbook (and a credit card for part of the down payment if they’ll let you—get the points!)
- Pre-approved check or letter with interest rate
- Vehicle Registration for your trade-in
- Title or loan documentation
- Your trade-in, including all spare keys and manuals. Optional: any regular maintenance documentation that may help establish a higher value.
- Trade-in appraisal (so you can use it to negotiate and get more for your trade-in)
- The salesman’s email with the specification of the car and agreed upon price (assuming you followed the steps to find the best car price BEFORE heading to the dealership).
And #10, a full stomach. The negotiations are not quite over. Even though you’ve settled on the price of a car, it’s not time to relax just yet. Be prepared for a few hours at the dealership to negotiate your trade-in and financing and sign paperwork. Handling the Finance Office correctly can save you almost as much money as negotiating a good car price.